Verse

Verse

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Baby Dedication

I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him.  So now I give him to the Lord. For his whole life he will be given over to the Lord.” And he worshiped the Lord there.
1 Samuel 1:27-28

To me, Baby Dedication is a very important part of being a parent.  By dedicating Sumner, I am making a promise to the Lord to do everything within my power to raise him in a Godly way. By making this vow of commitment I feel responsible to raise Sumner in the ways of God, and not according to my own ways. Some of the responsibilities include teaching and training the child in God's Word, demonstrating an example of godliness, disciplining according to God's ways, and praying earnestly for the child.  I recognize that Sumner is a gift from God, and by dedicating him, I am making a public pledge to do my best to raise him in a way that will please God.  I pray every night for God's guidance and for his will to be played out in Sumner's life.


Sunday April 7, 2013 was a beautiful day.  Not only was the weather nice, but so was the ceremony and the fellowship afterwards.  Sumner was dedicated at Lenox Baptist Church by Pastor Shane Ashley.  Several of our loved ones came to witness the special event: My parents, my brother, my grandparents, my aunt and uncle (Connie and Wayne), Matthew's parents, Matthew's Nana, Matthew's Aunt Nonie (his Nana's sister), Matthew's aunt and uncle (Carol and Dwight), Will Daughtrey, and Sumner's Mimi (Joan Ziegler, who keeps him.) After church, we all went and ate lunch at Jernigans.  Everything was delicious, and Sumner really enjoyed eating off my plate. It truly was a special day.


When I was little, I use to have a reoccurring dream about me being grown up and having my baby dedicated.  It was such a sweet dream.  Every time I woke up from the dream I felt a sense of peacefulness and contentment that I cannot describe.  This dream continued on until my late teen/early twenty years.  I don't know how old I was the last time I had it, but I remember Matthew and I were dating, and I told him about it.  I remember telling him how real the dream was and how I couldn't wait to have our own baby some day.  As I was sitting in church Sunday, waiting to have Sumner dedicated, I thought about that dream.  I thought about how thankful I was to have my dream come true.  God has blessed me with the my life-long dream to being a wife and mother.  I am so thankful for all he has given me, and give him all of the glory! 


Four Generations


Four Generations

My Family

Gammie and Poppie

Sumner and his Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment