Verse

Verse

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Sumner's Next "Step" in Life... Walking!


I told someone about a month ago that Sumner would be walking by Easter... I was close! March 30th, the day before Easter, Sumner took his first consecutive steps independently! We were at his cousin, Avery's birthday party. Mr. Charles was holding Sumner's hand and letting him walk down the long trampoline at the party and before I knew it, he took about five steps without Mr. Charles' help. I couldn't believe my eyes. I had to ask people near me if it really happened because it was so unexpected! After he took those steps, he took a couple more back to back steps occasionally, but nothing consistent until a few days later. Thursday, April 4th, Matthew, my mama, and I were playing with Sumner in the living room. He was standing with Matthew at the recliner and he slowly let go of Matthew's hand, turned his body around, and took one step, then another, and another, until he reached the coffee table! The three of us were holding our breaths in silent as he did it because we were so surprised. It was amazing! We were so excited! A short while later Matthew told me even though he was happy about Sumner's new step in life, he was also sad because it was just another sign of how quickly he is growing. I told him he had to hush because I am already such an emotional cry baby now that I am a mother, I didn't need to hear it from him, too! :) I joked and said I was going to stop encouraging him to walk and make him sit every time he tried to walk. I promise, that was a joke! I would never do that! But truthfully, I already thought the same thing. It is such a joyous event seeing your child grown strong and healthy, but at the same time, every new accomplishment is just a step towards becoming less dependent on you.
Anyway, as the day went on, he started taking more and more steps. Before I knew it he was walking from the kitchen to the hallway all by himself! I guess it is safe to say Sumner has officially started walking! He is still so much faster crawling, so I am sure it will be a while before his primary mode of getting from one place to another is by walking. In the meantime, I am enjoying watching him learn! I am thankful I was off from work this week for Spring Break to see him!

No comments:

Post a Comment