Verse

Verse

Monday, April 1, 2013

Spring Break

All week I have been replaying what I did last year for Spring Break.  I remember we went to see Sumner for the first time Saturday March 31st  during our 4D ultrasound.  I also had a baby doctor visit last year during Spring Break, and I was VERY busy planning for sweet Sumner's arrival.  This year was much different... but BETTER by FAR! I am going to have a very difficult time returning to work after being home with him for a week. At least Summer vacation is right around the corner.  Here is the low down on my Sumner's first Spring Break with mommy!

Monday April 1st: Sumner slept until 8 AM so I felt totally rested!  I loved being able to feed him his first bottle and playing with him in the morning.  During his morning nap I took the monitor outside and swept off the garage and washed my car.  I know this doesn't sound like fun, but I really enjoy doing stuff like this when I have time to do it!  Sumner woke up from his nap in the middle of me washing my car so I took the pack and play outside and filled it with toys and he played and watched me and his daddy work (Matthew was working on building the deck.)  Matthew's grandmother came to visit as I was fixing Sumner his lunch.  After lunch, Sumner took a two hour nap (I snuck in one, too.)  When he got up we went for a 3.5 mile run.  After our jog, we played outside for a while and then came in and I started supper.  I made meatloaf, cream corn, green beans, and brown rice.  Easter Sunday I gave Sumner food off of my plate for the first time.  Up until that point he had been eating food I made, but it was pureed.  Since he did so well the first time, I decided to give him what I cooked for supper.  He loved it! He mmmmed the whole time, Especially when he ate the brown rice! That was his favorite.  After supper I gave him his bath.  He stayed in the tub a lot longer than usual.  Probably because I knew I didn't have to rush because I had work the next day.  Instead I just enjoyed my time splashing and playing peek-a-boo with the shower curtain.  After his bath, he was pooped! He usually stays up about an hour after his bath, but not this night! I rocked him and fed him his bottle and he fell asleep before finishing.  It was a very, very special day! If every day could be like this one was, my life would be as close to perfect as it could possibly get!







Tuesday, April 2nd: Sumner woke up at 7:30 to a very crusty, stuffy, nose. He has had a bad cough and runny nose for about two months now but his doctor said his lungs and ears were clear so we waited on putting him on antibiotics. Well, when he wasn't getting any better the doctor gave me the go ahead to start him on Amoxicillin. He finished the antibiotic Monday and showed no signs of improvement...When he woke up congested I decided to call the doctor's office as soon as they opened. Luckily, he doesn't appear to feel bad at all....No fever or fussiness.... Just a wet sounding cough and runny nose. Matthew fed him his bottle right after he got up... I guess I do have to share :P Both of us L-O-V-E feeding him his first bottle. I guess it is because he is still sleepy so he just lets you hold him. It is a very sweet part of the day. After his bottle, Matthew headed off to work and Sumner and I played hard! Around 9:30 I put him down for a nap. While he was napping I talked to his nurse and she told me to bring him in at 1:30. He woke up from his nap about 10:45. I fed him lunch (I know it was a bit early) and we went to the YMCA. I took the spinning class and Sumner played in the child watch center. Every time I checked on him he was having a ball! After spinning class I took him to the doctor. I don't know what caused him to get so hyper, but he was very energetic, and in the best mood. He held on to my finger and walked all over that waiting room, talking the whole time. Then, when his doctor was checking him out he kept smiling, laughing, and talking to her. It was so cute! The doctor said she believes he is suffering from allergies, and nothing more. She recommended I start giving him Zyrtec daily. After we left the doctor, we came back home and Sumner took another nap. Meanwhile, my good friend Tracy came by to visit. Sumner acted very shy when he woke up and saw her here. It didn't take long for him to warm up to her though. She left around 5:00 and I fed him supper and gave him a bath. Then, we met up with our friends Katie and Norah Kate and went strolling. It was a very nice day! I can't say it enough how much I love being home and spending every second with my sweet baby!

Wednesday, April 3rd: Each day Sumner has been waking up a bit earlier than the previous day… This morning he woke up at 7:15.  Matthew had to leave early for work so I got the privilege of giving him his first bottle.  We stuck to his schedule and played together until his morning nap around 9:30.  During his nap I did the laundry, the dishes, and swept around the house.  He woke up about 11:00.  He was so sweet when he woke up.  I guess he was still sleepy because he actually let me hold him on the couch which rarely happens because he is such a busy body!  Matthew got off early because of the weather and came in around 11:30.  Shortly afterwards, my mama came to visit.  I fed Sumner lunch and we all played together for a while.  Sumner was extra sleepy today and was ready for another nap by 12:45.  He slept for nearly two hours, and I took a small nap, too!  Our plans were to meet our friends Katie and Norah Kate for a run, but the rain got in the way.  Instead, Sumner, Matthew, and I went grocery shopping.  As corny as it may sound, Matthew and I have always loved to grocery shop together.  It is kind of like our date time.  Now that Sumner is here, it is like “family time”.  We always have a good time!  Sumner loves it as much as we do.  I wish I could record how happy he is when he goes someplace new.  He is so observant and takes everything in.  When we were standing in front of Publix’s waiting on Matthew to drive around and pick us up, Sumner’s head steadily move right to left watching all of the cars and people go by.  When we got home I cooked chicken alfredo fettuccine (Matthew’s favorite).  Matthew and I usually go to church on Wednesday nights and mama keeps Sumner, but this night we went to a funeral home visitation instead.  When we got home, Sumner was already asleep. I hate that I didn’t get to rock him to sleep like I usually do.  I can’t wait until tomorrow morning when he wakes up and we get to spend another day together.  I am very thankful for the gifts God has given me.  It really is the simple things in life like grocery shopping with your husband and baby that make life worth wild! 

Thursday, April 4th: Oh my goodness, what a day! Sumner learned to walk today! Even though he has been walking with his push toy, walking holding on to things, and has even taken a few baby steps, he is actually really walking now! He woke up at 7 this morning. I don't know why he is waking up earlier and earlier as each day passes, but it’s alright! That just gives us more time to spend together! His walking skills started first thing after he had his bottle. He walked from the recliner to the coffee table. After that he kept getting braver and braver. It wasn't long before he was walking from one end of the house to the other. It is amazing how fast babies learn! Sumner took his first nap at 10:00 and Matthew, mama, and I watched a movie together. After the movie, Matthew went to help a friend work on his house, so Mama and I spent the day together. When Sumner woke up we fed him lunch and played some more. After lunch, our friends Katie and Norah Kate came to the house. We have been able to spend a lot of time together over my break, and that makes me happy! Katie and I attempted to do Insanity while the babies played! It went pretty good! They were so cute. They actually tried in imitate us! After they left Sumner took a nap! It was a little later than usual, but that was ok! After his nap I fixed his supper, gave him his bath, and played until bedtime. Of course, during this time he had to show off his new trick to his daddy when he got home! We even called his Poppie, Papa, and Gammie over to watch him walk. It has been another WONDERFUL day! I already told God thank you for allowing me to be home when Sumner took his first steps!



Friday, April 5th: Can I please rewind to this time last week when Spring Break officially started? Gosh, this week has gone by too fast!  But on the bright side, it has been filled making lots of sweet memories and a whole bunch of family time.  Today, Sumner gave me the gift of sleeping late again. He didn't wake up until 8!  I fed him his bottle and got us both dressed, and left the house to run errands.  I kind of wish I hadn't waited until my last day off to do this, but oh well!  Sumner was a great passenger! He sang and talked in the back seat while I drove and greeted everyone we met in stores with his sweet smile.  We were gone for about 2 1/2 hours, so he took pretty good nap in his car seat.  My mama was with me, so she sat in the car with him after he fell asleep so he wouldn't wake up from being toted around.  When we got home, Matthew came in, and we all decided to go out to eat for lunch.  By the way, Matthew also took some time off this week since he knew I would be home, which made my Spring Break even more special.  After lunch we went to the yogurt shop.  When we got home a crop duster was spraying fields around our house.  Sumner loved watching it dip down low!  Mama went home after lunch so Matthew, Sumner, and I spent the rest of the afternoon playing.  Sumner took a good nap about 2:30, so I took one too :)  While we napped, Matthew went outside to fish.  When Sumner woke up I started dinner, stuff bell peppers (Matthew's request).  After supper I gave Sumner his bath and put him to sleep.  I rocked him longer than usual, and got a little emotional.  I thought about how much I was going to miss him when I go back to work next week.  I feel like I miss SO much by working. When I think about what all I would have missed if I had not been on Spring Break this week when he learned to walk, it makes me want to cry.  Thankfully, I was here!  I always pray when I rock Sumner to sleep.  Tonight, I prayed God to help me next week when I go back to work, and I also thanked him for the beautiful life he has given me, and for the wonderful memories I made being home this past week.  It has truly been wonderful.  




No comments:

Post a Comment