Verse

Verse

Sunday, June 16, 2019

Sumner is 7!!!


We had such a wonderful four days celebrating you for your 7th birthday!  Instead of having a big birthday party, we chose to take you to The Great Wolf Lodge, for a mini-vacation instead.  Your birthday was on Saturday, which was the day we were leaving, so I surprised you by decorating the house on Friday morning instead. We had doughnuts for breakfast and spent the day doing things you enjoyed.   That night we ate supper at Steak and Shake (your choice) and went to Uncle David’s house for cake and presents.  You got a new bike from DD and Mr. Tommy, a slide for the dock at the lake from YaYa and Top, a kayak from us, and money for your savings account from your aunts and uncles (Papa had to work but he gave you a tackle box the next weekend). Saturday and Sunday were spent at the Great Wolf Lodge and you and Anna Ruth had a blast.  Abigail stayed with YaYa and Top since she was too little to do anything.  On Monday, a few friends came over to swim. We try to get you all together regularly during the summer, so this time we just made the play date and impromptu birthday celebration. It wasn’t anything fancy, but you had a good time none the less.  I think you had a great birthday seeing as that it has been a week ago and you are still tired from it all! Happy Birthday, Buddy!

     Sumner you are seven! How can that be? This sounds crazy, but certain ages sting a little worse than others…  Of course, when you turned 1 was tough because you were ONE!  Three was another tough birthday for some reason because it seemed like a big transition between you being a baby and you being a little boy.  Now that you are seven, I realize that is also one of those ages that stings a little bit.  I can’t really explain why, it just does.  It hurts to really say it… Seven…. My first baby who I feel like I was just finding out I was pregnant with is now seven years old. 
     Sumner, because you were my first baby, you will always have a special place in my heart (as do Anna Ruth and Abigail).  I remember so many details about how and when I found out I was pregnant with you. I remember the maternity clothes I wore.  I remember the doctor’s visits.  I remember the shopping I did to prepare for you.  I remember what I was doing the week and the night before you were born. I remember going to Dr. Jordan for what I thought was just a normal check-up, only to find out I needed to go straight to the hospital to be induced because my water was leaking.  I remember being so scared when the alarms in the room started going off and being rushed back for an emergency c-section.  I remember the days at the hospital before going home, and just enjoying becoming a mama!  I remember the little goggles you wore when they put you in the cubical for jaundice, and how bad you hated being in there. You got so mad you nearly rolled over from your back to your stomach at 2 days old.  I remember what a challenge it was to breastfeed you… We tried syringes, shields, a tube to trick you with, and even spoon feeding you breastmilk.   I remember coming home and how slowly daddy drove.  I have never seen him drive so carefully.  He didn’t take the normal route via interstate, instead he drove through town.  We got stopped by ABAC by a train, and I took a picture.
     I remember your room, too. I remember how we use to put a hand towel on your changing pad because you had terrible dirty diapers that got everywhere, it was easier to wash the towel than take the changing pad off every time you had an accident.   I remember the little toy that DD hung from the shelves above your changing pad so you could play with it (mostly stare at it) when you were getting changed.  I remember your first Father’s Day, Aunt Connie brought a onesie over that said something about Father’s Day. I remember how you use to scream in your car seat, which were especially rough coming back from Moultrie.  I had to pull over so many times just to try and get you soothed (or my nerves soothed, not sure which!) I remember how I could see you on your baby monitor yawing, stretching, and looking all around until you fell asleep.  I remember trying to get you on a schedule, and failing miserably. 
     Embarrassing as it is, I also remember vividly how naive I was before you were born, and how fast I snapped into reality once we brought you home.  Looking back, I think I must have thought I was getting a new puppy or something instead of a baby!  I just thought it would be like the movies and everything would go so smoothly. I thought you would sleep and eat when it was convenient and there would be nothing by smiles and laughter. I truly was not prepared for how HARD it was to be a mama of a newborn.  But I can honestly say, if I have a magic genie in a bottle, my first wish would be to go back to the day I found out I was pregnant with you so I could do every little thing all over again without changing one thing. 
     Sumner, you just will never know how much I love you, and how thankful I am for you.  By God’s grace and mercy, having you as my son (and later Anna Ruth and Abigail as my daughters), I slowly changed into a different person (and I like to think better).  Since you have been born my priorities have changed. I see the world differently (and unfortunately scarier). I see danger in everything.  My prayer life has grown exponentially. 
     Sumner, you make me so very proud.  You are so caring and considerate of other peoples' feelings.  You love to make people you love feel special.  You have always had a strong understanding, hunger, and respect for the Lord, which makes my heart so happy.  You are incredibly intelligent.  You are a protector. You are head strong, which can get you into trouble occasionally. 😊 God made you so special and so beautiful and I am just blessed to be able to witness all the qualities He instilled in you shine. 

I love you as high as the sky and the ocean is deep and more and more and more!

Love, Mama

P.S. Please stop growing up so fast!!!












No comments:

Post a Comment