Verse

Verse

Sunday, June 16, 2019

End of 2018-2019 School Year


WE SURVIVED! Who-hoo!!! I now have a 1st grader and a kindergartner (and of course an adorable little one year old, too)!   This first year of public-school aka “all day school” has been something I have dreaded since Sumner was about 2, and I was able to start staying home with him and his new baby sister, Anna Ruth.  From that point on, as each year passed, the dread became stronger.  I remember crying randomly while fixing them lunch thinking how much I would miss eating lunch with him every day once he started “all day school.”

We made the decision to let Sumner repeat kindergarten since he had a summer birthday and would be one of the youngest in his class.  His first kindergarten teacher, Ms. Debbie, at Northside Baptist Church, agreed with our decision and believed it would be in his best interest in the long run.  This was a tough decision because Sumner is so bright, but we just all knew in our guts that it would do him good to have another year to mature. 

He started out at Omega Elementary School but half way through the year (after Christmas break) we transferred him to Norman Park Elementary School.  I can’t really say for sure why it didn’t work out at Omega, because Omega is a wonderful school, except that it wasn’t where God wanted him to be. I prayed diligently for several years asking God to please show us where He wanted Sumner to go to school.  We had two choices: Colquitt County (Norman Park) or Tift County (Omega).  I really wanted him to go to Norman Park because that was the school I taught at, so I knew so many of the people.  Plus, I had several very close friends who a taught there, as well as their children.  Basically, Norman Park is home to me.  I hope whenever I go back to teaching I will be able to get a job there again.  Matthew wanted him to stay in Tift County because it was closer to home.  Not than Norman Park is much further than Omega, but the issue would present itself once Sumner had to go to middle school.  Moultrie is too far to drive… 

About a week and a half before school started, we made the decision to put him at Omega.  The first day of school came, and I will be honest, I was a mess.  I didn’t show it though… Not until after we left the school anyway…  That is when I lost it.  It is embarrassing how upset I was.  I am not going to go into much detail except to say it was bad.  That day was a blur and I just counted down the minutes until I was able to pick him up.  He had been so brave, though.  However, I could see in his eyes how nervous he was….  When I look back at pictures of that morning, I see so clearly the nervousness in his eyes, but he never once spoke of it.  

Sumner had always liked school. Let me take that back, he had always LOVED school.  But all that changed after he started at Omega.  Being a boy, he isn’t one to just open up and talk about his feelings.  I never could get much out of him when I would ask about his day.  All I knew was that he complained every afternoon about not wanting to go back, and every morning it was a struggle to get him up and out the door. 

About a month into the year, the assistant principal called me and told me she had been going over data and after discussing it with his teacher, they thought he needed to be moved to the first grade. She spent about 10 minutes giving me all the reasons why she thought he needed to be moved to first grade.  I asked if she could give me the weekend to decide, and she said that was fine.  Over the weekend I prayed a lot.  I reached out to veteran kindergarten teachers, the former principal of the gifted school in Moultrie, and other teacher friends.  I also talked to moms of older children who also chose to repeat kindergarten for the same reasons as I had.  Everyone I talked to gave the same advice, to keep him in kindergarten.  Some of their reasons to repeat were: repeating would give him an advantage, puberty would be when the younger age would show and possible cause issues, and the age he would go to college could be a problem if we didn’t repeat. 

In the end, we decided to do what we felt in our heart originally and that was to keep him in kindergarten.  One thing that really stuck out to me as I talked to parents was no one who chose to make their child repeat regretted the decision later on.  The only regret I heard was from a parent who didn’t repeat, and now that their child is a teenager, the mother can tell there is a difference between her son and the other children in his grade level.

I e-mailed the assistant principal over the weekend and told her our decision. She asked if Matthew and I could come to the school the next morning to have a meeting with her and the principal.  The next morning we met and they told us since we chose to keep him in kindergarten, they would at least like to change classrooms so he would be in a class with other students with a higher reading level. We agreed. 

Over the next few months his little personality started to fade.  His love for school had disappeared and he didn’t want to go anymore.  Every morning was a struggle to get him ready and out the door.  This was troubling to me because he always loved school before.  He started having stomach issues and he even started having nervous ticks.  It was terrible.

I did everything I could to be involved at the school and to be involved in his class.  One day his grandparents and I were at his school for a special program, and Mrs. Latrelle walked by his classroom and noticed he was sitting at a table all by himself.  She walked in because he looked so sad and spoke to the teacher and asked why he was by himself, and the teacher told her it was because Sumner was so much higher than the other children, that she made him sit at a table alone, so he could do his own work since it was different.  When she told me I felt like crying.  I asked Sumner later than afternoon about it and he told me he was by himself all day.  He even did centers by himself while everyone else had groups.

Over many conferences with his teacher and the assistant principal (who is AWESOME by the way), Sumner still struggled.  Unless you’ve ever been in the same position as I was, you won’t understand how terrible it is to send your child to school every day wondering if he was being treated nicely and fairly.  I can’t count how many times I cried after he left. I prayed constantly for him all day long and could not wait to pick him up every afternoon. It was just awful.

Around Thanksgiving, something else happened in his class, and Matthew and I decided to go ahead and transfer him to Norman Park.  I took him to visit the school before they got out for Thanksgiving break, so Sumner could see the kids and teachers.  At first, we planned to switch him after the break, but decided to wait until after the Christmas break instead.  Sumner does good with structure.  Without structure, he tends to act silly resulting in behavior issues.  I knew the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is a fun time at school, resulting in a lack of schedules and structure.  I worried if I sent him during that time he would start off on the wrong foot, so we waited. 
He started at Norman Park Elementary after the New Year and he was in Mrs. Yvonne and Mrs. Donna’s class.  He had the BEST rest of the year.  He absolutely flourished at Norman Park.  My old Sumner was back. The one who loved school, couldn’t wait to go, and talked about it happily every afternoon when I picked him up. What a blessing!

I do not have much to say about Anna Ruth’s year in Pre-K other than it was an amazing year.  She had two wonderful teachers, Mrs. Stacie and Mrs. Paige, who she absolutely loved.  She loved going to school every day, and I never worried about her because I knew she was being loved while she was away from me.  The hardest part about this year is the realization that she only has one year left at Northside.  I never worried about her leaving Northside, only Sumner, because I guess I felt like she had a long time before she’d be done.  Sadly, those years have flown by and the end is near, and my heart cannot hardly think about it.  Anna Ruth has been my sidekick since Day 1.  Before they started “school” Sumner would go and hang out with Matthew’s dad and Matthew some, but Anna Ruth always stayed with me.  When Sumner started school in the Three Year Old room, Anna Ruth stayed with me.  When Sumner started PreK and had to go every day, I did let her go to the Two Year Old Class, and eventually to the Three Year Old Class, but only twice a week, so she still stayed with me the other three days.  And this year when Sumner was at school all day, I picked her up at lunch and we got to spend time together until we picked Sumner up.  It is going to be hard not having her with me once she leaves Northside next year.

Time marches on, that is for sure.  I pray regularly that God will help me to not be so sad about them growing up, and just enjoy the present.  I am so thankful to have three healthy children that I get to see grow.  I am thankful for the job God has blessed me with that allows me to spend more time with them than I would in a traditional school/teaching setting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment