Verse

Verse

Sunday, June 16, 2019

Abigail Lately (15 Months Old)


Abigail sure has changed a lot since her one-year old birthday.  Now that she is almost 16 months old, she is full of personality and she thinks she is a big as Sumner and Anna Ruth! Below are some things she has been up to since the last time I wrote about her.

·         EATING/DRINKING/SCHEDULE She is no longer on a bottle.  She quit it cold turkey the day after she turned one.  That morning when she woke up I put her in her high chair fed her yogurt and gave her a sippy cup of milk.  When she tasted it, she made a bad face and wouldn’t try any more.  I was a little worried because I didn’t remember Sumner and Anna Ruth not liking milk.  I couldn’t figure out how she would make it all day without her bottle to fill her up.  It was as if I had never had a baby and never done this before. I could not remember what types of food to feed her and when.  I asked a few other mamas with babies her age what they were doing, and that helped a lot.  To be honest though, the first few days were a little rough trying to keep her full without her bottle.  I think it was because I was still trying to give her real baby food instead of the food we ate.  It wasn’t until one day Matthew watched her for the day that I realized she could real food like us because he just gave it to her, and she loved it.  In a week, she began really liking her milk.  Her schedule then (and now) is she wakes up around 7, eats breakfast with a cup of milk, takes a morning nap, eats a snack, eats lunch with a cup of milk, takes another nap, eats a snack, eats supper with a cup of milk, gets a bath and goes to bed around 7:30.  She loves water and goes through several cups a day.  She started out using a 360 cup, then a hard spout cup, but now she really wants to use the ones that Anna Ruth and Sumner use.  I guess she is in a big hurry to grow up or something…  She learned to drink out a straw well before her first birthday, so she loves their cups with a straw.  She also likes drinking from a water bottle. When she is thirsty she points to where I keep her cup and whines for me to get it.  If Sumner’s or Anna Ruth’s cups or a water bottle are in sight she will shake her head no and point to theirs.  I guess I am going to have to get her one like them.
·         Walking: Abigail started walking when she was 11 months old.  On her first birthday she was still a little wobbly.  Now she is a walking pro! She runs all around the house trying to keep up with her big brother and sister. We play “tag” a lot by telling her “I’m going to get you…” and she takes off running to a “base” aka a chair and lets out the biggest belly laugh ever.  I love that deep belly laugh she has! It makes me laugh every time! Now that we have moved back into our house after the remodel, we have a long hallway leading to our bedroom and another small hallway leading to our bathroom.  She knows just how to get there from the far end of the house. I love hearing the pitter-patter of her little feet walking to find me when I am getting ready in the bathroom.  She’ll play under my legs while I am getting ready or gesture for me to pick her up, so she can play with my makeup.  She likes me to pretend to put blush on her face.  It is so sweet!
·         Bathing: Abigail has always loved getting a bath.  However, the past 6 weeks or so she has been terrified of the bathtub.  When I start putting her in she starts screaming before she even hits the water.  She refuses to sit down and holds on to my neck the entire time crying.  It is quite difficult.  I read that it can be normal for babies her age to go through this, and it will eventually pass.  We went swimming a few weeks ago and I held her in the pool and she cried just like she was getting a bath for the first 10 minutes or so.  Eventually she calmed down and relaxed and enjoyed splashing the water with her hands.  Next, I put her in a baby pool, and she liked that too.  I hoped that would help her get over her fear of the bathtub, and it did a little, but not 100%.
·         Cuddling: Up until the last several weeks, Abigail was a lot like Sumner in the sense they did not like being rocked and cuddled. Thankfully, all that has changed!  She loves to be held and even rocked.  I rock her every night before bed and sing songs and she just lays there with her head on my shoulder.  I love it! Her favorite song must be “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” because she sings the tune all the time.  She loves to be held during the day, and usually she’ll lay her head on my shoulder and wrap her little arms around me and give me a big hug just randomly.  She kisses my cheeks, blows kisses, and has even said “I love you” (not clear, but she says it just the same)!
·         Favorites:  Tickling, her pacifier, sleeping (when I lay her down to put her zipadee zip on she literally laughs from excitement because she knows what is about to happen), eating, her cozy coup, music and dancing, riding the golf cart, animals (she gets so excited whether it is a cow, cat, dog, stuffed/mounted animal, she even got excited when she saw a kitten on tshirt at Walmart), playing in our closets (wrapping up in our hanging clothes and trying on my shoes),  her family (her face lights up when she sees one of us).
·         Attitude: The last 6 weeks or so Abigail has developed somewhat of an attitude.  When something happens that she doesn’t like she will throw her hands up, fall on the floor, and she says something in baby talk that sounds as if she is telling someone off (it must be the speed and the tone of her voice).  It is kind of funny to watch, but we’ve been having to get on to her to discourage that attitude.  Sumner and Anna Ruth never acted like that, and I think the reason she acts like that is because she is constantly having to fight for herself against Sumner and especially Anna Ruth.  Anna Ruth likes to act like her mama and is constantly stopping her from doing what she wants, picking her up, and getting in her way. 
·         Measuring Up: Abigail is wearing size 18-month clothes and size 3 shoes. She has almost all her teeth (from what I can tell).  She wears size 4 diapers. She is short for her age, according to the chart at her doctor’s office.
·         Comedian: She loves making people laugh.  She sits in her car seat facing backwards towards Sumner and Anna Ruth and tries her best to make them laugh.  This is gross, but funny… When she passes gas or belches, she laughs afterwards and then tries her best to do it again, and again, and again.  She laughs so hard after this!
·         Mocking Bird: She can say a lot of words. Some of her favorites are mama, daddy, bubba, shoes, light, sky, thank you (can’t understand it- but we all know that’s what she is saying), baby, hey, bye, uh-oh.  She imitates us when we say a lot of things.  She also imitates gestures.  When she sees me spraying my hair with something she pretends to do hers.  When we make faces at her, she tries to make them back (fish face is the funniest),  when she drinks something or sees someone else drink something she says “aahhhh”. In the car I say she is playing “roll call” because she says my name like she’s calling me just to make sure I am still there. It is so funny!
·         Little Mommy: Abigail loves playing with baby dolls.  She kisses them and hugs them tight.  She sleeps with a few in her crib, and when I get her up in the morning she gives them to me one by one so I can kiss them, too.

Dear Abigail,
How is it that you are already nearly 16 months old?  I can’t believe you are starting your second summer with us! I keep thinking about what we were doing this time last year, and while it makes me sad to think of how fast time is passing, I can’t help but smile because you truly have brought all of us so much joy.  You have always been the most easy-going little thing, and you have a personality that is just one of a kind.  I wish you could see how much Anna Ruth and Sumner love you. Anna Ruth treats you like her own daughter…Telling you “no ma’am”, helping to feed you, and picking you up.  She really and truly does look out for you, even though it comes across as bossy sometimes.  You love going into the playroom with her and listing to her school and church songs, playing school, and playing in the kitchen. As for Sumner, well you and him have a totally different relationship together, y’all are more playful.  He isn’t the bossy type, however he does look out for your safety. But instead of “getting on to you” like Anna Ruth does, he just spends his time trying to make you laugh.  Your eyes really do light up with you see him and I don’t think anyone can make you laugh like he does.  Both your brother and your sister adore you!  We are all so thankful God gave you to us!  You are such a blessing.  I pray for you every day that God will protect you and that you will follow and serve him all of your life. I pray you will be surrounded by Godly influences all throughout your life, as well as marry a Christian husband one day.  I love you, Abigail, as high as the sky and the ocean is deep and more and more and more!
Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment