Verse

Verse

Friday, June 6, 2014

Anna Ruth is Half a Year Old


What a great month this has been!  So many exciting changes going on in the Palmer house!  First big change is Anna Ruth is HALF A YEAR OLD! Wow! How did that happen so quickly?  I feel like time is flying by much faster with Anna Ruth than it did with Sumner, which makes me sad.  I love having my babies small, and I know it will not be this way forever!

Anna Ruth’s feeding aversion is basically non-existent! Praise the Lord! It was truly like an overnight transformation.  Ironically, it happened when we were in Atlanta for Anna Ruth’s check-up with GI doctor, Dr. Gold.  She ate so good on the way up there and on the way back.  Matthew and I began to wonder if maybe she just liked eating being in her own seat versus being held so when we got home we fed her in her nap nanny.  Slowly, I transitioned her from eating in the nap nanny to me holding her again (let’s face it, what is sweeter than holding and feeding a baby, right?) Before I knew it she was eating like a “normal” baby.  In fact, she is at the point now where when she sees her bottle she laughs and then gets mad if you don’t get it to her fast enough.  I keep asking her where this baby has been the past 6 months?????  Dr. Gold, as well as other doctors told me reflux gets so much better around 6 months of age, so the only thing I can figure is that it isn’t hurting her to eat anymore because the reflux has gotten a lot better. Currently she drinks about 5 OZ, every three hours.  She eats baby food at least once a day.  I tried giving her carrots again (remember how last month she hated them so bad she cried) and she ate them up! I am glad I didn’t give up because carrots are so healthy!

Anna Ruth is sleeping in her own crib now for naps and bedtime!  It just sort of happened on its own which makes me happy I didn’t stress about it along the way.  For the past several months I would lay her in her crib at night and for naps, but she never did rest well, so she ended up in the swing.  About the same time she started eating really well, she also started staying in her crib without any problems.  Maybe her reflux caused her not to sleep well lying flat on her back which is why she didn’t like the crib until she got around 6 months old and the reflux was better!  She still wakes up once a night, usually around 3 am.  She goes to bed around 7 each night and wakes up each morning around 7:30.  She takes three naps a day.  The first two usually last 2-2 ½ hours and the third one is late in the afternoon and lasts about an hour. Anna Ruth has slept a lot since she was born.  My mama said I was the same way when I was a baby and while I was growing up.  I always required more sleep than my brother.  Without enough sleep I would always get sick and be sluggish.  The same thing is true with Sumner and Anna Ruth.  It was a battle to get Sumner to take a nap when he was her age, and it is a battle if Anna Ruth doesn’t get the sleep she wants!

There are so many other differences between Sumner and Anna Ruth. For example:

·         Eating: Sumner loved to eat from the day we brought him home.  He was guzzling 4 ounces the first month he was alive.  Anna Ruth on the other hand still doesn’t have the greatest appetite!

·         Cuddling: Sumner never liked to be held and rocked.  Anna Ruth on the other hand falls asleep all the time while I am holding her.  She will sit in my lap and let me hold her as long as I want to!

·         Swimming: The first time Sumner got in the pool he hated it.  It took a while for him to get use to the water.  Anna Ruth on the other hand loved it the first time I put her in! She is just so easy going!

·         Medicine: It has never been a big deal giving Sumner medicine.  In fact, he loves it.  Anna Ruth on the other hand hates taking medicine.  She usually spits it back out or even throws up after giving it to her.

In the past month, Anna Ruth has become a rolly-polly!  She rolls front to back and back to front all over the place! Anna Ruth also sits up all by herself now and is starting to put herself in the crawling position!  She loves to be sitting up versus lying down.  I put pillows around her when she is sitting in the floor playing with her toys just in case she topples over!  She can find her paci and reach for it and put it in her mouth.  She loves sitting in her exersaucer.  She likes it a lot more than Sumner did! Anna Ruth is a social butterfly!  She uses her eyes to beg for smiles! LOL! She does not like to be alone.  When someone gets out of her sight she will cry until she sees you again.   She loves to be sung to.  She has started trying to clap along with the song.  Again, when you stop singing she cries until you start singing again.  It is so funny! Another cute new personality trait she has started is being bashful.  When people she doesn’t know talk to see she gives them a shy grin and buries her face into my chest.  It is adorable!

She has the tightest grip which leads me to a funny story… Anna Ruth has the tendency to grab hair and pull the fire out of it.  Well, one day I was holding her in my lap and Sumner crawled up to sit with us.  Anna Ruth got a lock of his hair and would not let go.  Sumner screamed and cried and was obviously upset.  The next thing I know, Sumner goes into the kitchen, opens up a drawer, and gets out the “paddle” we use to pop him with (wooden spoon.) He comes walking back into the living room with this angry look on his face saying “no no sissy” and was getting ready to pop Anna Ruth!!!!!!!  I took the spoon away, explained he is not allowed to spank Sissy, and moved the spoon to the top of the refrigerator! That little stinker!

Anna Ruth got a wonderful report at her 6 month wellness visit.  She weighed 16 LBS 8.5 OZ (59th percentile) and was 26 inches long (50th percentile.) She wears size 3 diapers and 6-9 month clothes. 

Sumner

Sumner had a big month, too!  For starters he took swimming lessons for the first time.  He hated them at first, but by the end of the week he loved the water.  We have been doing a lot of swimming this summer and he has the best time! 

This past month we went to the lake twice.  Sumner rode the boat and the Jet Ski for the first time, and loved it!  He also liked swimming in the lake with his little float! 

Sumner also turned 2 this month!  He had a Mickey Mouse party and got a ride on Gator as a gift… best money ever spent (besides a baby swing, haha!) He has become a pro at driving that thing.  He can back it up and everything.  I have to watch him though because he knows the path to Poppie and YaYa’s house and he isn’t scared to drive down there alone LOL!

WhooooHooooo!!!!! Sumner is POTTY TRAINED!!!! It was surprisingly so easy! I checked the Almanac to see when to start and went straight from diapers to real underwear (no pull-ups) and in less than a week he was potty trained! It was amazing!  He still wears his diaper to bed.  He is not ready for that yet.

Sumner loves his sister more and more as each day passes.  He hates it when she cries and will do whatever he can to soother her!  He likes to feed her bottle and hold her (with my help of course!) He gets upset if we ever go anywhere without her (which is rare.) I cannot wait to see their relationship grow!

Dear Sumner and Anna Ruth,

I am having the best time staying home with you two.  These really are the best days of my life taking care of you playing with you, and being your mommy! I hope you always remember how special you are to me and remember the special times we have! I love you more than you could imagine!!!! I love you both as high as the sky and the ocean is deep and more and more and more.

Love,
Mama





No comments:

Post a Comment