Since Anna Ruth's reflux is so bad her GI doctor recommended her starting solids earlier than 6 months. He suggested trying her on something other than cereal at 4 months. So, a week after her 4 month birthday I cooked her a sweet potato (organic, of course~I know some roll their eyes at this.) After cooking it I pureed it in my food processor. As it was softening up I added a little water to make the texture creamy and a touch of cinnamon (plain cinnamon~no sugar.) I fed it to her right away while it was still warm. I was nervous of how she would like it. She has developed a feeding aversion due to reflux and tummy issues. A lot of babies with aversions don't eat solids well either. I was so afraid this was going to be another battle. But, praise the good Lord, she tore it up! She ate the whole plate I made for her! After she got the hang of it she started moving forward towards the spoon.
The good thing about making your own baby food (besides knowing exactly what is in it) is that it is so cheap. The one sweet potato will make several servings! I fed it to her again the next night and she liked it even better than the night before. I feed her the baby food between her last two bottles of the day which is usually around 5:30. So if she drinks a bottle at 4 she eats supper at 5:30 and drinks her bedtime bottle at 7.
I am going to let her eat the sweet potato a few days before trying another food. I hope she is like her brother in the way he will eat anything. He eats so many fruits and vegetables. He never eats anything but milk and water. I think since I started out feeding him healthy things and never introduced him to sweets, he just doesn't have a sweet tooth. I let him try a Capri Sun recently at a birthday party and he spit it out. The first time I tried to give him a piece of candy for using the potty he turned it down. He won't even eat a gummy vitamin!
I can't wait to make Anna Ruth more wholesome and nutritious food! It is fun seeing her enjoying eating for a change!
No comments:
Post a Comment