Verse

Verse

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

1 Year Old

Say it isn't so... Sumner is a year old! Good grief, this year has flown by! This year has been filled with so many changes.  Every minute it seemed like Sumner was changing, but he wasn't the only one.  Matthew and I changed so much too.  I know a lot of people say you should wait a while before you start having children once you get married, and we planned on waiting, but God knew what was best for us.  He had a perfect plan... A wonderful plan.  I can honestly say having Sumner was the best thing for our marriage.  Thanks to Sumner, a new and incredible bond was formed between Matthew and I.  Slowly, as each day passed we fell in love with each other all over again, and for different reasons than we did the first time.  We both grew up so much and learned to be more giving and thoughtful of each other.  I could go on and on about the wonderful things that have changed in our relationship over the past year but there are just too many things to count.  I have to brag on Matthew, too.  Over the past year he has grown so much spiritually.  Because of this he is an awesome husband, daddy, and my best friend.  It's amazing what can happen when you put God in control of her life. 

Enough about us, lets get to all the things Sumner.  At his 12 month wellness visit he was 30 inches long (56 percentile) and 23 lbs. (76 percentile).  Three days after his 1st birthday he stopped having a bottle.  He is still on Elecare because of his milk allergy so he gets three sippy cups of it a day (6 oz. each).  He also eats breakfast, lunch, and supper, and boy can he eat!  I try to feed him all homemade, healthy foods.  For breakfast he eats homemade oatmeal made from steel oats, not the instant kind.  I mix it with fruit and he loves it.  For lunch he usually has a fruit and a vegetable.  He will eat anything including: green beans, peas, butter beans, sweet potatoes, carrots, cabbage, squash, zucchini, apples, pears, avocado, bananas (his favorite), watermelon, mango, strawberries, blueberries, and the lists goes on and on.  For supper he eats what I fix for dinner, and a fruit.  He doesn't have any crackers, juice, sweets at this point and pretty much everything he eats is fresh, not processed.  I know I only have a limited amount of time before he gets introduced to junk, so now while I can I try to keep all the bad stuff off limits! 

He has learned a ton between 11-12 months.  His vocabulary has grown tremendously.  My mama swears he says a lot of words but I just don't hear all the ones she hears because he doesn't speak them clearly, but its obvious he understands what we say.  Here are a few examples of things he knows the meaning to...
1. Blow me a kiss
2. Go find mommy (or daddy, or DD)
3. Where is your ball? Go get your ball.
4. Shut the door.
5. Lets go.
6. Will you give me a kiss?
7. Give me a high five.
8. No, no! (He also shakes his head when you tell him no.  He also tells you no when he doesn't want something)
9. Love the bear (Then he goes and hugs his teddy bear)
10. This isn't really vocabulary but he has started taking a cell phone and holding it to his ear and talking in it.

On a bit of a negative note, he has started pitching small fits.  Thankfully they aren't too bad... yet... and they are very short lived.  Whenever you tell him no, or move him away from somewhere he wants to be, or take something away from him he whimpers, shakes his head, and falls to the ground.  Like I said, thankfully he gets over them in about 10 seconds and moves on to something else. 

His schedule hasn't changed.  The only difference is his bottles are replaced by sippy cups.  And we added reading a book to his bedtime routine.  He finally sits there long enough for me to read to him.  Yes, I admit I am guilty of still rocking him to sleep at night, but I promise you, I don't care what people say, that's one thing I will NEVER regret.  Even though he doesn't have a bottle he still has his sippy cup and he lets me rock him just the same as if he had a bottle.  I love this time together because it is basically the only time during the day he is still enough to sit in my lap and let me snuggle with him.  It also gives us an opportunity to say prayers.  I know he doesn't understand it yet, but I know he is like a sponge and it will sink it. 

I have to brag on Sumner.  Everywhere we go people comment on what a good baby he is.  He is wonderful.  He is so pleasant and easy going, and just a joy.  I can take him anywhere with me and he behaves.  Maybe it will stay that way :) Regardless, Matthew, his grandparents, and I are so blessed to have him. 

Dear Sumner,
I cannot believe you are already a year old!  This has been the best year of my life, and you deserve all the credit.  You are growing into such a handsome, sweet, and smart little boy.  I cannot wait to see the ways God uses you in the future.  My prayer for you is that we always have a close relationship and that you always seeks God's will for your life.  We love you more than you will ever know and look forward to what the future holds.  Just try to stop growing up so fast!!! I love you as high as the sky and the ocean is deep and more and more and more!
Love,
Mama
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment