My maternity leave f-l-e-w by! I was out for six months! The first month I was out on bed rest and the last five were spent with my sweet baby boy! I can honestly say once my hormones got straight, those were the best months of my life. I changed as a person, and in my opinion, I changed for the better.
I was TERRIFIED of returning! While I was out of work my principal moved me from teaching third grade to teaching fifth grade. I was worried for many reasons. First, I was forced to leave my comfort zone. Second, I was nervous about the fifth grade curriculum. Math is TOTALLY different than it was when I was in school. Third, I would have to plan alone because I would be the only fifth grade math teacher at my school. Fourth, I would have to leave Sumner!
But, November 5th came faster than I ever dreamed it would! I spent the entire weekend before crying my eyes out. Matthew felt so sorry for me that he told me if I could just make it until January, I could stay home and we would just cut back and make do somehow. But, I didn't want to do that because I didn't want to do my students that way. It would not be fair to them. So, I told him I would work until the end of the school year and then stay home. This gave me a little peace about the situation.
So, on Monday morning, I left Sumner in the hands of Ms. Zeigler and headed off to work. I cried the entire way. Once I got to school and the kids came in with happy smiles and greetings, my sadness started to disappear. The day was so busy that it flew by and before I knew it I was on my way home! When I got there Sumner was awake and he smiled so big when he spotted me. I was so happy to be home and already dreading leaving him the next morning. It wasn't a good night... Sumner had not taken a single nap and decided to take one 30 minutes after I got home. When he woke up he was ill (from not resting all day). He went to bed so early... I guess the time change messed him up. So I only got to spend about 2 hours with him "awake".... I couldn't stand it.
The next day I called a private insurance salesman and asked for him to get a few quotes together for us to buy private insurance. You know it’s bad when the man selling the insurance tells you not to quit your job! Haha! He told me over the phone that by me working with the school system I have the best insurance there. Nothing he could sell would even come close as far as maternity was concerned. He said most private companies do not even offer maternity and the ones that do only pay a maximum of $3000. Well, that wouldn't even put a dent in my $20,000 maternity bill (which my insurance paid all but $500 of). His advice to me was to keep working and let the school insurance pay for my deliveries and once I am finished having kids, quit, and buy private insurance. He said it wasn't so bad when you didn't pay for maternity. Another lady who works with financial planning advised me against quitting, too. She said out of all of the people she works with, retired teachers are better off as far as retirement goes. She said you just can't beat it!
So, needless to say I was a little discouraged. Up until that point I had peace with my decision to stay home and raise my family. But suddenly, I felt anxious. The next day went by a little easier than the day before, and the next day even better. Sumner started taking good naps which meant he was awake more in the afternoons when I got home. My kids at school were just wonderful and to my surprise, I l-o-v-e-d teaching fifth grade! The kids are so mature that I don't have to spend my entire day saying the same thing over and over and over again. That can get very tiring! The only subject I teach is math, which I love. My day is over by 12:55 so I get to spend the rest of the afternoon planning and getting my work done. It is awesome! Mrs. Zeigler is the most giving and kind person I know, and she does more for me than she has to do. When I get home in the afternoons I don't have to worry with laundry, a messy house, or dishes. She takes care of it for me. That way, I can spend the time I do have at home with Sumner and Matthew.
Here it is-- the end of my first work week and I feel happy! No, it is not as good as being at home... But, it is very "do-able"! I no longer have intentions of not returning next year. Maybe once I know I am done having children I might. Who knows?! I am very fortunate to have a job I love! It has many wonderful benefits such as holidays, insurance, and retirement. When Sumner (and God willing my other children) goes to school one day, I will be able to be here with him and we will always have the same holidays! I have so many things to be thankful for! I am very blessed!
The flowers Matthew sent me on my first day!
It's hard not to like your job when you have smiling faces like these all day!





No comments:
Post a Comment