Well now my clumsiness has taken a turn and is not so funny. On Tuesday, May 8, 2012, around 11:00, I fell at work causing me to go into pre-term labor. On that day I was 34 weeks and 3 days pregnant. I really do not know what happened to be honest with you. I jokingly say I was too excited about how well my sweet kiddos had done on their CRCT that my feet got ahead of me and down I went. All I remember was I knew I had lost my balance somehow and I fell. The side of my belly broke my fall into the corner of a desk, and I proceeded to fall onto the floor.
Right after it happened, I just sat their stunned... I waited to feel Sumner move, and luckily he did. I called Matthew and told him what had happened, and asked him what I should do. Of course, he told me to call the doctor, so I did! When I called Dr. Jordan's office, they told me both doctors were out of the office and would not be back until around 2:00. They told me I could do one of two things: 1) Go to labor and delivery and get checked out or 2) Wait until 2:00 and come to the office. Well, at first since I felt him moving, I thought I would just wait and go get checked out after I got off work, as long as I didn't feel any pain. But something in my gut told me I didn't need to wait. So, I called the office and told them what was going on...
It did not even occur to me that since my fall happened at work, I would have to go through the procedures of filing a report. I just thought I would get in my car, and away I would be. NOPE! Instead, my principal asked my best friend, Mandy (who just so happens to teach with me), to drive my car to the hospital in Tifton, and he would follow behind us. Since the accident happened at work, I was not allowed to drive. Meanwhile, I call Matthew. He was far away scouting cotton, and since I didn't think anything major was going on, I told him to keep working, and I would let him know what was going on as soon as I got to the hospital. In fact, neither of us were thinking it would be a big deal, so he asked me to go by the Big Store to buy him a new pair of boots when I left… haha!
Once we arrived I was put into a room, hooked up to the monitor, and the nurse immediately noticed some contractions starting... As time went on, they started getting stronger and stronger. They checked my cervix and saw that I was 70% effaced. At this point and time, I realized things were a little more serious than I had first thought, so I called Matthew and he left work to come and be with me. In fact, he had another guy, Ryan, riding with him. In order to save time, he asked Ryan to drop him off at the hospital and drive his truck home.
On this particular day, my brother's car had messed up and he had to go to Athens, so he drove my mama's car. She rode with another teacher to work, so was stranded at work without a car when all of this was going on. She was a nervous wreck! Finally, she managed to get someone to bring her home, and she borrowed my daddy's car to drive to Tifton to be with us.
In order to try and stop the contractions they gave me a pill. They watched me on the monitor for a few hours and when the contractions kept growing stronger, they decided to keep me for the night and change my medication to a Magnesium drip (hopefully I am getting this right, I have no medical knowledge!) They also gave me a steroid shot which helps to develop Sumner's lungs in the case of a pre-term delivery.
Well, Wednesday came and went. I had some special visitors: Uncle Dwight, Katie (and sweet Norah Kate), Jori, Mandy, and Jarrod! My mama, as well as Matthew's parents, were also here for the majority of the day. It was nice having company to make the time pass by quickly. My contractions didn't seem to get any better, but luckily my cervix had not changed. But, I had to stay another night...
So, here it is Thursday night... still in this same bed! I am not complaining though. I know it will all be worth it in order to keep Sumner inside for a little bit longer! I have continued to have contractions today, but still no change in my cervix which is WONDERFUL! They have changed my medicine, and so far so good! Hopefully if things continue to go like this they will let me go home tomorrow. Today, my mama went back to work. We thought it would be best for her to save those days for when Sumner gets here! So, it was just me and Matthew.
I have to take a minute to brag on him, by the way. He has been the best little "nurse" (he will kill me for writing this!) He has tended to me hand and foot! Will not let me lift a finger! All I am getting is "are you ok", "do you need something", "what’s wrong, you look uncomfortable". Not many men would sit around for two days straight without going anywhere besides home for one hour to get a shower and things I told him I needed. But he did, and surprisingly, has acted like he has enjoyed it. I have to admit, I have enjoyed the quality time, too! If I have to stay here much longer, though, I am going to have to kick him out of here so he can get busy doing things around the house to get ready for Sumner’s big arrival. I guess it is just a woman thing, but does anyone blame me for wanting my yards fixed up, my house cleaned, Sumner’s room ready when I bring him home from the hospital?!? I know things NEVER go as planned, but if at all possible I would love to bring him home the way I have dreamed about! So, needless to say, poor Matthew has a pretty big “Honey-Do” list waiting on him!
So, as for now, I have no idea what is going to happen next, but I plan to keep my blog updated! :)






No comments:
Post a Comment