On October 19, 2011, our lives changed forever! Things that use to seem so important, didn't really matter anymore. On the other hand, things I hadn't really thought about were suddenly consuming my mind. On that day, Matthew and I found out we were going to become parents... READY OR NOT!
I remember the day like it was just yesterday... It was a Wednesday, and I spent the day on a school bus with 40 third graders! We had gone on a field trip to Panacea, Florida to learn about habitats at the marina. For the past few weeks I had been exhausted! Saying I was just "tired" would be an under statement. The only way I can describe it would be to say I felt as if I had taken two sleeping pills and had to live and work through it! My mama was so worried, and told me I should go to the doctor. Between the two of us, we had already diagnosed me with mono because one of my cousins who had been at our house recently was also sick with it. Never did we even imagine I might be pregnant.
Up until that day, I had no pregnancy symptoms, besides being tired. However, something about being on that bus made me sick, which had never happened before. On the way back, the teacher I team with told me to try and rest because she knew I felt bad. I thought "how can I rest on this bumpy, uncomfortable, and loud bus?" But somehow, I did! I rested my head on the window, and that was all it took! At one point she joked and said "You're not pregnant are you?" My response was, "No way". Which reminds me, the Sunday before, Matthew and I were riding home and I mentioned to him that I thought I might be "late". I never payed much attention to the dates, because in my mind, why should I, we were not trying to have a baby... That day he said I should take a test, and my response to him was "There is no need to waste our money!" Haha! Little did I know...
Anyway, back to the story, when we got back to the school and all the kids were picked up, I had plans to meet my mama at the YMCA for aerobics. Anyone who knows me at all knows I work out everyday, no matter what! Working out to me is part of my daily routine, like taking a shower or brushing my teeth. Nothing usually keeps me from the gym...sad to say, even being sick. But that day, I was just too exhausted to even think about going, which like I said, NEVER HAPPENS! So, I drove home without going to the Y.
On the way home I passed a CVS, and I heard a small voice in my head tell me to stop and buy a pregnancy test. Well, I told that little voice the idea of me being pregnant was crazy and I was going to save that twenty bucks, so I drove on by. Well, the voice got louder the further I drove. Something, (I say God), caused me to turn around and go buy the test! Of course, EVERYONE I knew seemed to be in CVS that day. One person in particular I was my Aunt Connie! I had to be very careful not to let anyone see what I was buying!
Finally, I made it home to my mama's house. Our house was still being remodeled so we were living between Matthew's parents and my mama's. That particular night, we were staying with mama. I went straight to the bathroom, and as relaxed as could be, started taking the test. Just as I was lifting the stick to read it, my mama burst into the bathroom to get the laundry hamper because she didn't realize anyone was inside. It was the craziest thing... The very second I lifted the stick, there were TWO very distinct pink lines on the test. I was in utter shock, I really about fell off the toilet! My mama didn't really know what was going on because like I said, she just happened to bust in the room, but she could look at my face and see something was going on, and then she looked at the stick, and put two and two together!
BELIEVE ME, I never intended for her to find out before Matthew, but then again, I had no idea the test would be positive. It was an accident that she walked in on me. If I had thought for a second that the test would be positive I would have been a little more careful, and definitely would have locked the door! But, I was just taking it to give myself peace of mind. Needless to say, I was in shock and she was ecstatic! I couldn't hardly believe the test, so we went back to CVS and bought two more tests (different brands). Both were positive!
Matthew was in Tifton working on our house. I immediately called him and told him to come over. Normally, he would have been late coming home because he tried to work as long as possible to get our house finished. I used the excuse I missed him and really wanted us to spend some time together to get him to stop and come over! It worked! However, he wanted us to meet at Lowes to look at a refrigerator first.... GREAT! I was in such shock, that it took everything I had in me not to tell him over the phone. I just didn't know what to do! I didn't want to tell him at my mama's house because I knew even if I told him in my room, it wouldn't be "private". So, as unromantic as it sounds... I took all three sticks with me to Lowes and waited for him in the parking lot! I figured at least there, in my car, we would be alone! :) When he got there, I told him to get in my car because I needed to do something before we went in. He looked confused, but did it anyway. When he sat down I told him to close his eyes because I had a surprise for him... Still confused, he did as I said. I turned the overhead light to my car on, and held the test in front of him, and told him to open his eyes. I remember wondering how he would react. I knew he wanted children, but we just hadn't talked about having them so soon..... I mean we had only been married for 5 months and were not finished with our house. When he opened his eyes, his first reaction was a HUGE smile and he said "4-REAL?" I said "Yes!" and he said "We're going to have a baby?!" and I said "Yes" again, and all I remember was that he gave me the biggest hug he had ever given me! I have truly never seen him so happy! From that moment on, I am not exaggerating, he has had the "pregnancy glow" people say mothers are suppose to have!
First thing the next morning I called my female doctor and told the receptionist what was going on, and they told me to come in as soon as I could! When we arrived, my cousin Tracy was sitting in the waiting room. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why the two of us were there. She promised not to tell anyone until we announced it ourselves! When they called us back, they gave me another pregnancy test, and it too, was positive! They even squeezed me in for an ultrasound! That was the most amazing thing ever. We were able to hear the heartbeat, and see its tiny body! I was 6 weeks pregnant! I remember laying on the table while they were doing the ultrasound with so many thoughts running through my head! I thought about how unreal it was that I was hearing MY BABY, something I have dreamed about for as long as I could remember! When Matthew and I got home, we talked, and prayed together. We prayed for God to please keep our sweet little baby safe and healthy. We prayed God would guide us in this journey and help us to be Christian parents and a good example. We also prayed for the salvation of the new life growing inside me.... We wanted to start then praying for he/she to make good decisions and live a life devoted to the Lord.
As I said at the beginning of this post, October 19th was a wonderful day and totally life changing. I look forward to this new adventure and seeing what God has in store for my sweet; little, but growing family!



No comments:
Post a Comment