Verse

Verse

Monday, April 14, 2025

Sumner's First Time at the Masters (and mine, too)

     What a fun time we all had in Augusta over the past several days! Top, Yaya, Sumner, Anna Ruth, Abigail, Daddy, and I left on Thursday morning and stayed through Monday. We took the fifth wheel and stayed at a campground in Augusta called "The Peach Orchard".  After we got everything setup, we went into town and ate supper at Zaxbys and bought groceries at Walmart. That night we had a campfire with smores. 

    The next morning (Friday), Sumner, Top, and Matthew headed to the tournament. They stayed the entire day. I loved hearing all about it from Sumner when they got back. Sumner was able to get a Junior Patron badge, participate in the Junior Patron scavenger hunt, go to the practice grounds and watch the players warm up, eat lots of yummy food (I think the peach ice cream sandwich was his fav), and walk around watching players at different holes. Some of the highlights were seeing Bubba Watson tee off at hole 10, Justin Thomas practice putting on the putting green beside hole 10, following Bubba from holes 10-13. Holes 11, 12, and the tee box are known as "Amen Corner". They so did some shopping in the gift shop and tried getting their picture in front of the club house, but the line was too long.  They ended their day sitting in the grand stand at hole 16 because they were able to see both hole 15 and 16 from that spot. On the way out, they were also able to see Scottie walking off hole 18 and head into the scoring booth to sign his score card.  Sumner tried to get a high-five, but Scottie had just bogied and wasn't in a "high-fiving" mood. It was a full day for them! When they got back, we had spaghetti, salad, and garlic bread.  

    The next day (Saturday) Matthew and I went.  I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy it if I am being honest.  I was excited to see it and be able to experience it, but as far as watching the game of golf.... I just didn't know if it would hold my attention.  Boy, was I wrong.  I loved it! The thing I loved most was spending the entire day with Matthew, totally uninterrupted! We weren't even allowed to take cell phones in. It was so nice.  When we first walked in we put our chairs down at the green at hole 15.  We were able to put them in the front row.  Next we walked around and looked at all the beautiful scenery. Around 10 we went to the grand stands, hole 13, "Azalea" and ate our breakfast.  The food and drinks were so good and surprisingly, very inexpensive. After breakfast we went to tee at hole 7 and watched several of the golfers tee off.  We were so close to them, you could hear them breathing. That was super intense.  I loved it.  After that we went to golf shop and did some shopping.  Merchandise is different than the food.   Definitely NOT inexpensive. By then it was lunch time, so I got bbq, chips, and tea. Matthew got ham and cheese on rye, chips, and an Arnold Palmer.  We sat at hole 16 grand stands and had our lunch.  Finally, after lunch, we made it back to our chairs at hole 15 and stayed there until the final players went through.  It was amazing.  We were right in front of the hole and it was also very intense watching them putt.  Some went into the water, some went into the sand trap, and one even hit someone beside us who was sitting in the grand slam.  Scottie was the one who did it and he gave the person a signed glove.  Matthew and I got back to the campsite around 7:30 and Matthew made smash burgers.  

    Sunday morning, Top, Yaya, and Sumner started off by going.  About 12:30, we drove to the course and parked at Walgreens.  Matthew got out and walked to the parking lot to meet Yaya at the truck so she could give him her badge.  He went in to spend the rest of the day with Sumner and Top. Yaya walked up the street and met me and the girls at Walgreens and we went back to the RV.  Abigail and Yaya stayed there, and Anna Ruth and I went to Ulta.  

    I am so thankful Sumner was there on Sunday with his dad and granddad.  They were able to get their picture in front of the clubhouse, see lots of golf, eat lots of good food, and see history being made! Sumner's favorite golfer has always been Rory. I don't know why, but it is.  And what an incredible experience for Sumner to be there when Rory won his first major tournament in 11 years, win the Masters, and become one of six golfers to go down in history to complete the golfing grand slam.  Another neat thing that happened that day was when Bryson DeChambeau gave Sumner a high-five on the practice ground.  

    What an amazing trip. It is definitely something I will always remember, and I pray Sumner won't either. And even though the girls didn't go to the tournament, they had their share of fun going to Urban Air, getting ice cream from Brusters, shopping, and watching movies.

    










No comments:

Post a Comment