Verse

Verse

Monday, August 8, 2022

Sumner Joined the Double Digits Club

 

“Sumner Joined the Double Digits Club”- that was the theme of Sumner’s 10th birthday.  I don’t know how it is possible that my “baby” is ten years old.  I know it sounds cliché, but it seems like yesterday I was getting everything ready for him to be born. It also seems like I was just writing a post about him being “a whole handful”. I remember seeing toddlers walking around holding their mama’s hands when Sumner a was newborn and thinking he would never be that big.  Well, I am here to tell you it happens FAST.  I love Sumner so much and I am so thankful God chose me to be his mama.  He is so creative, smart, sensitive, giving, a hard worker, and thoughtful.  He loves to do anything Matthew does. I have never seen a son look up to his daddy the way he does. Whatever Matthew says or does is right in Sumner’s eyes. 

For his birthday, we made the entire day about him.  I made him a strawberry cake for breakfast.  For lunch we ate at Checkers (his request). That day we played games and did whatever he wanted to do. VBS was that night, so we didn’t celebrate that night, but we made up for it on Friday night when we had a party for him at the office with Matthew’s side of the family. They always make everyone’s birthday so special. He got a bunch of magic tricks for his birthday, and he did a magic show for us.  On that note, he recently got into magic tricks when we went on our “Big Trip” and watched a show at the “Amish Country Theater” where they had a famous magician as one of their acts. Ever since he has loved magic tricks.

He had his birthday party at Tift Area Gymnastics and had a great turn out and tons of fun!!! That place is a winner for fun + exercise!

It is hard to think of one thing that stands out to me the past year, because he does so much every day to make me proud, but if I had to pick ONE it would be the Christmas gift he bought me.  You remember how I said how thoughtful he is? Well, he knows how much I love a good massage.  One day we were at TJ Maxx and I found this back massager mat on sale and I just had to have it. I splurged and bought something for myself and when he saw what I bought he got so so so upset. At first, I could not understand what he was so upset about.  Then it occurred to me that he had used his own money and asked Matthew’s dad to take him Christmas shopping the day before… Do you know what my sweet son bought me for Christmas? A massage mat! He pays attention to what others love and used his own time and money (totally his own idea to even go shopping) to buy me the most perfect gift. Of course, I took the one I bought back and kept the one he gave me because it was so very special.

I promised him a trip for his birthday (as if a party wasn’t enough—but you only turn the DOUBLE DIGITS once!) and he chose NASA in Florida.  We are waiting until it is cooler to go, and he cannot wait!

Happy Birthday, Sumner! I hope your 10th birthday was so special and I hope the next ten goes by much slower!!! You make me so proud each and every day to be your mama. I tell you all the time how special you are and to never ever doubt it. God made you exactly how you are for a purpose, and I cannot wait to see what He has in store for your life. I will never be able to tell you often enough how much God loves you and how important it is for you to seek Him every single day of your life. Nothing is more important. The older you get, the more distractions and temptations the enemy will put in your path, but God always provides a way out… Just seek Him! I love you, Sumner… More than words can ever say and probably more than you will ever understand until you have a child of your own.  Thank you for being you and for loving me so much! I love you as high as the sky and the ocean is deep and more and more and more!!!

Love,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment