Verse

Verse

Friday, June 3, 2022

2022 Big Trip (New York, Ohio, Kentucky, Chattanooga)

 

2022 Big Trip (New York, Ohio, Kentucky, Chattanooga)

We left for our big adventure May 20th and made it home June 3rd. We drove about 2300 miles and went through 10 states (South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee).

This was a trip of a lifetime. I know the children are young, but I pray they will remember many details of it for the rest of their lives. I cannot say just how thankful I am to the Lord for providing a way for us to go on this trip and for His protection. I am also thankful for Matthew’s Uncle David who has always treated our kids like his own and gone above and beyond for them. This trip was no different. I cannot thank him enough for wanting to be with us for two weeks straight in tight quarters and taking us on this trip! We love him and appreciate him so much!

Drive to Niagara Falls

Our sweet friend, Casey Kilgore, helped plan our trip. She suggested we do the “long driving days” on the front-end of our trip, when the kids were excited instead of exhausted.  So, we decided to spend the first 3 days driving north (6 hours, 6 hours, 4 hours). When we left Friday, we drove to Charlotte, NC. We didn’t have a campsite reserved, because we didn’t know where we would be stopping, so we spent the night in a Walmart parking lot. That was a fun experience for the kids.  Matthew’s birthday was the next day, and I made a cake for him before we left, so we were able to celebrate him right where we were! Saturday, we drove to Canton, Ohio and spent the night at a KOA.  The highlight of this spot was mini golf! Sunday morning, we drove to Niagara Falls. We stayed at Niagara Falls until Sunday!

Experiences in Niagara Falls

When we got to our campsite (Branches of Niagara) we unhooked and got everything set up. We ate a late lunch at Cracker Barrel back in Pennsylvania, so we didn’t have supper. We hung out at the campsite until about 8:00 and then drove to the state park to explore. They light the falls up at night and do fireworks. It was beautiful.  Sumner was so disappointed we were so close to Canada and couldn’t go visit!

The next morning, we got an early start and headed back to the state park. The first thing we did when we got there was the Maid of the Mist.  It was incredible! The power of the waterfalls would just about knock you down.  Sumner’s wish came true on the boat ride because while on the boat you technically go into Canada, so he feels like he can officially say he has been to another country!

Afterwards, we rode the trolly and did some sightseeing. Later that afternoon we did the Cave of the Winds attraction. We climbed as far up as possible. Unfortunately, the Hurricane Deck was being repaired so we didn’t get to go to the very top.  That was fun, but we liked Maid of the Mist better. All I could think about as I was climbing up the steps, fighting the water, and holding onto Abigail for dear life was her falling through the steps and going into the river! I was thankful to be on solid ground when it was over.  She was a trooper! I still can’t believe she wasn’t scared to death!

That night our dear friends, the Kilgores, came to visit. We had pizza and great conversation, the kids played, and we roasted marshmallows and had smores. We were sad to have to say goodbye but were so thankful to have been able to see them on our trip!

The next day we stayed around the campsite.  The kids were able to swim (I don’t know how--- it was COLD), they rode their bikes, and we even rented a family bike and enjoyed riding it around together. Wednesday, we packed everything up and headed towards Amish country!

Amish Country

During our time in Amish country, we stayed at Timber Crest RV Park. I have always been the type of person to get homesick, even when I am with my family.   I guess I am just a creature of habit and I love being home.  I have never been anywhere in my life where I didn’t get that “homesick” feeling…  Until I visited Walnut Creek, Ohio. I felt like I had gone back in time.  And it wasn’t just because of the Amish.  The whole community was conservative. Even in the neighboring towns, there were no chain restaurants or billboards. I didn’t see any Walmart’s. I did look to see where the nearest one was located, and it was a supercenter several miles away and it closed everyday at 11. Even the CVS had shorter hours.  I saw children (“English” included) riding their bikes all over town.  We went to play putt-putt one evening and there were so many pre-teens and teenagers there without parents. They all rode their bikes.  I can’t imagine living in a place where I felt safe letting my kids ride all over town…. But you can in this area. I did some research, and the crime rate in this area is so very low.  What an amazing thing!

While in Amish country, we ate so much food! Goodness! I vowed to myself to not eat anything bad for a week after we left Ohio!!!  Every place we ate was so generous with their servings and the prices were very low (compared to most touristry type places). Many places used the “honor system” for payment.

I was worried the kids may get bored on this part of our trip, but they did not. Even they enjoyed the beauty of the land and the lifestyle of the Amish.  Abigail’s favorite line during this part of the trip was “what a beautiful view”! Anna Ruth and Sumner both asked if they could move there.  Even they are painfully aware of the hustle and bustle of our lifestyle and long for more simplicity! I found a quote in one of the Amish books and I loved it. It said…

 

Become Amish? One Amish writer responded this way, quoted in Small Farm Journal some years ago:

"If you admire our faith, strengthen yours. If you admire our sense of commitment, deepen yours. If you admire our community spirit, build your own. If you admire the simple life, cut back. If you admire deep character and enduring values, live them yourself."

 

Besides riding through the beautiful countryside (which would have been enough), we did so many other fun things:

·         -Guggisberg Cheese (award winning cheese factory)

·         -Amish furniture stores

·        - Amish Country Theater (it was so good, we went back the second night)

·        - Browsing and shopping in the unique stores

·         -Toured an Amish farm- this included a wagon ride similar to the Animal Safari in Pine Mountain (so much fun!)

·      -   Toured real Amish homes, school, farm, and took an Amish buggy ride

·     -    This doesn’t need mentioning but ATE REALLY GOOD AMISH FOOD! LOTS OF IT!

·     -    Took a detour for Matthew to visit Bearded Butchers/Whitefeather Meats (he even got to meet and talk to one of the brothers. They are really good people).

·       - Mini golf

·        - World’s Largest Coo-Coo Clock

 

North Kentucky

We left Amish country on Sunday.  Because it was a holiday weekend, we were not able to find a campground for that night.  Therefore, we stayed in a Remke Market parking lot in Harrison, Ohio.  The next day we drove about 45 minutes to the Creation Museum.  We were able to park our RVs there while we toured the museum. When we left there, the campsite was about 20 minutes at North Kentucky RV Park.  We got everything setup and grilled hamburgers and hotdogs for supper. And of course, s’mores…

The Creation Museum was very interesting. It is state-of-the-art museum where you get to venture through biblical history, stunning exhibits, botanical gardens, planetarium, special effects theater, walking trails, fun playground, & zoo. The pages of the Bible dramatically come to life as you walk through all the exhibits!  There was so much to read, and I couldn’t take it all in because of the kids.  I took pictures of the things I found the most interesting so I could print them out and put in a notebook when I get home.  The kids enjoyed the life-like animatronic dinosaurs, talking heroes of the faith, and professional displays that honor God´s Word.

What I loved the most was the chronological retelling of biblical history in seven parts called the Seven C´s, Beginning with Creation, and fast-forward to Christ´s return. Along the way, they see how God´s Word provides the big-picture answers for our most difficult questions, whether about science, the Bible, or our personal relationship with God.

            The next morning, we got up and headed towards the Ark Encounter.  There is so much to do at the Ark Encounter, it is almost impossible to get it all done in a day. And they are steadily adding to it. My hope is one day this theme park will grow so much and be able to compete with secular theme parks like Disney and Universal.

            The Ark Encounter is a one-of-a-kind museum, featuring a full-size replica of Noah's Ark where you can learn all the details of the ark, life on the ark, animals on the ark, and more. They’ve taken a strict commitment to historical accuracy and artistic excellence in building the largest timber-frame structure in the world, built in part by skilled Amish craftsmen (my FAV lol). Ark Encounter is the only exhibit of its kind that will cause you to think differently about the Biblical account of Noah's ark and the flood. Touring the ark is only one of the things to do here. They have shows, movies, virtual reality rides, camel rides, an awesome playground, a zoo, and I am not going to lie… AWESOME FOOD! We ALL said the buffet we ate at while at the Ark Encounter was the best food we had eaten the entire trip (including Amish). If you ever go, do yourself a favor and eat at the buffet!

It is hard to pick a favorite at the Ark Encounter, but I was able to narrow it down to four things and they are listed in no particular order.

·         First, the 12 stones exhibit. I’ve always loved this part of Scripture. It’s always convicted me and made me want to put down my stones so I can remember what God has done for me and so generations after me can also remember!

·         Second, the Fairytale Noah’s Ark exhibit. A quote from their website describes this exhibit as “While they are meant to be cute and fun for kids and were surely drawn with good intentions, fairy tale arks ignore the fact that the biblical account of the flood is about a righteous and holy God judging an exceedingly evil world yet showing mercy to animals and mankind through Noah’s family. The Bible explains that the size of the ark was 300 x 50 x 30 cubits. Some children's books send mixed messages by citing the biblical dimensions of the ark while displaying an image of a fairy tale ark. Presenting contradictory information confuses readers rather than properly instructing them. Using artistic license and stylizing the ark is not necessarily sinful, but these cute arks drastically distort Scripture and make the account look like a fairy tale.”

·         Third, is not really an exhibit, but rather the way the Ark Encounter was able to help me (and my children) comprehend how Noah was able to fit all of the animals (and everything he needed to survive).

·         Fourth, “The Door” exhibit. A quote from the website describes the exhibit as “Another Door- Noah’s family entered the ark’s door to escape the physical destruction of the flood. God has provided another “door” to save people from the coming eternal judgment. Jesus Christ said, “I am the door of the sheep” (John 10:7). In that culture the shepherd really was the door to the pen—they would rest in the entryway, ensuring that the sheep would be kept safe. Jesus, the Good Shepherd, is the door through which we must enter to be saved from our sin. The Substitute- Jesus Christ, the Son of God, became a man, lived a sinless life, and then willingly died on the cross as a substitute. As man’s sin brought death, the Son of God died to redeem man from his sins. Three days later, Jesus rose from the dead, showing that he held power over death and demonstrating God’s acceptance of Christ’s payment for sin. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)”


Chattanooga (the halfway point back home)

We got to Chattanooga, or Ringgold (to be more specific) Wednesday and stayed at the Battlefield Campground. We planned to stay two nights but ended up leaving about 7:30 PM Thursday evening to avoid Atlanta traffic on Friday.

            Wednesday night we ate at a neat place called Sugars Ribs.  The food was OK, but the neat thing was the goat feeding. They had a basket of cabbage at the door with a sign not to forget to feed the goats. We went out back and we didn’t see any goats. Then we saw a dinner bell with a sign that said “goat bell” so the kids rang it. Out of nowhere all these goats started coming up the huge hill ready to eat. They were the sweetest goats!! Now we are all begging Matthew to put goats behind our pond. 😊 That night when we got home the kids were able to swim for a little bit before bed.

            Thursday, we went to the Tennessee Aquarium. I don’t think anyone loved it more that Abigail. She was ecstatic! I loved watching her excitement! We ate at a DELICIOUS restaurant next to the aquarium called Puckett’s. The kids and I enjoyed a serious game of Hangman while we waited!  When we got back to the campsite, the kids swam!  We decided then it might be a good idea to go ahead and head home that night instead of waiting until the morning, so we got busy getting everything packed up and ready.

            We got home about 1:00 AM. The kids were able to sleep, so that was nice. On the way home I had so many things on my mind. One thing was Sumner’s upcoming birthday. I am having a hard time with him turning ten. I feel like I was just telling him he was “a whole handful” when he turned 5. And just like that, that 5 has doubled!  I guess thinking about him growing up led me to think about the second thing which is how incredibly thankful I am to have had this trip with my family. Not only me with them, but I am also thankful our children were able to have this special time with Matthew’s parents and Uncle David.  I know a lot of people think we are crazy for going on a two weeklong camping trip, but there isn’t anything better to me (except Hawaii…. I think Hawaii with the fam might top a 2-week camping trip haha)! Yes, the kids argued A LOT. Yes, it irritated me. Yes, I lost my patience more times that I want to remember… BUT IT WAS ALL WORTH IT!  I love my family and have TRULY enjoyed every second of this trip, even when I was about to lose my mind! Thank you, Lord for this opportunity!!!!!

           

No comments:

Post a Comment