These end of summer posts are coming way too fast for me. I wish I could go back in time before the kids even had a summer vacation because that meant they were "littles" and stayed home with me all day. But there is no sense in looking back.... I am thankful tonight (the eve of Sumner and AR's first day of school- and specifically AR's first day in public school) for Norman Park Elementary. This school has been such a blessing to our family. I know it is where God intended my children to be from the get go! The peace I have about tomorrow is night and day from when I sent Sumner off on his first day to public school, and for that, I praise the Lord.
What makes this year different than those in the past is that this year, we have been home together for 5 months because of COVID. Not only did this cause the kids to be out of school for an extra 2 months, but we as a family were forced to stop all extra "busyness" and just be together. I hate what COVID represents and my heart breaks for all of those who have lost loved ones and faced terrible financial loss due to this terrible pandemic, but I do try to find the good in every situation, and the good in this situation was the forced "SLOW DOWN!" for our family and therefore we were able to do the things we always said we wanted to do without the stress and rush that most days bring.
The first 6 weeks (and maybe even longer) the weather was nice and the kids played outside (literally) from morning till night. All the restaurants were closed so we ate meals I cooked all day every day. We had lots of picnics outside, too!
The last 5 months have really probably changed us all more than what we even realize. I know it has shown Matthew and I how we want to be intentional about not allowing our schedules to get so crazy causing us to miss out on the simple (and sweetest) things.
A few things I hope to never forget about this pandemic so far and the past 5 months are...
1) Easter- how different it was- and yet the best one I have ever experienced! I felt like the worship and teaching of what Easter really is was more meaningful and impact this year than ever, and for that I am grateful. Not only for me, but I know the kids learned a lot more too because we had more time to devote to the teaching of Easter.... not just on Easter Sunday.
2) Anna Ruth got saved! WOW! An answer to prayer! Praise God!
3) All of Sumner's inventions (the arcade in the playroom, the solar system in his bedroom, his jet skii at the lake, the book he wrote, illustrated, and printed, and so much more!)
4) bike rides and trail hikes with DD
5) Anna Ruth learned how to ride her bike without training wheels
6) Abigail's obsession with Moana and Princess and the Frog
7) Bibleman and Super Books watching
8) Abigail potty training (It took nearly the entire quarantine, but she finally mastered it and I still have my hair)
9) Trips to the library (when you can't go anywhere- the library opening is HUGE!!)
10) Our morning routine of riding the gators, getting the chicken eggs, and then swimming before 11:00 AM)
11) More junk nights than I can count therefore we watched so many new movies together!
12) Abigail's new phrases: "She's my mama first!" "Can I hold you?" "Mama, I NEED you" "Mama, I want you" "Don't leave me!"..... As you can tell from reading these, poor girl is going to have a hard time when things get back to normal and she has to go to the nursery at church again or when/if she starts "school" a few days a week.
13) Lake trips
14) Abigail's obsession with her "pretty dress" aka green dress that you will see in just about every picture from this time period because she wanted to wear it every single day.
15) A simple, relaxing, and so very sweet Mothers Day
16) Tore down the old barn beside our house and did a LOT of yard work!
17) Lots of games (new games= Old Maid, Slap Jack, Go Fish, War, and Solitaire)
18) Matthew buzzing Sumner's hair because it was so long and all the hair places were closed.
19) My craving for Starburst minis, and Sumner and AR playing a joke on me!
I know there are lots of things I am forgetting but these are a few of the things from the past 5 months that I never want to forget! I am so thankful for my family and the memories made over the past 5 months! I pray for a wonderful school year (still not sure what that is going to look like since we are still battling this awful virus) and for all those who have been directly and negatively impacted from this terrible virus. I pray every night for protection for my family and friends as well as a safe and effective treatment...






























No comments:
Post a Comment