It is hard to believe 8 years ago today, I became a mama. In some ways it seems like it was a lifetime ago. In other ways, I can't believe the 8 years went by so fast. My heart gets filled with pure happiness when I think back to those early days when you were our one and only. The three of us were learning together. I still remember how alert you were immediately after you were born. You were wide eyed moving your neck from one direction to the other taking it all in. Everyone commented on how much you were studying your surroundings. Even the nurses commented on how they had never seen a baby looking around and being as alert as you. It is funny now because your personality the first few hours of your life was a true example of how you would be as you grew older. Daddy tells you all the time to pay attention to where you are going and stop looking around when we are in crowded places (so you won’t run into something or someone) because even now, you are constantly studying, analyzing, and taking in everything around you.
Sumner, you make me so proud to be your mama. You are truly a one of a kind kid. You love God so much, and I think that is amazing. I pray your desire to know Him better never goes away. You enjoy reading your Bible. Many times I have found you in your room reading it for no other reason other than you wanted to. You asked me last week to put the Bible app on the Ipad you and Anna Ruth use, so I did. You would have thought I put a game on it, you were so excited. You love to let the speaker read it to you, and that makes me so thankful! You have a gift of memorizing scripture. You are able to memorize it way better than me or daddy can. Sometimes when you pray you will quote a verse in the Bible to go along with what you are praying for. You love Bibleman the show, and you play like you are Bibleman all the time. You have taught all your friends about the show and they play along with you. A couple of months ago, before the coronavirus, we had friends over and you and the other kids had turned the playhouse into a "God Club" and I overheard you teaching them about the Lord's supper and y'all were playing like y'all were at church having the Lord's supper.
Speaking of Bibleman... Originally you planned to have a Bibleman skating birthday party. However, due to the coronavirus, you were not able to. Since you were not able to have the party we had originally hoped to have, we still wanted to do a little something to celebrate you. Instead, we had our group of close friends come over and had a mini-party for you. This group of friends have been mine and daddy's friends for a very long time, long before you were born. Now we all have children and I am so thankful you all have each other to grow up with. We kept the Bibleman theme and during your party you called all the kids together so you could show them this experiment you saw on our church's children's Facebook page about sin and how Jesus can turn the sin (black water) clear again. All the kids were surprisingly very attentive to your little show.
On you actual birthday we went to Saint Simons for a day trip. You requested McDonald's for lunch so we picked it up and had a picnic. Next, we went to the Lighthouse Museum (your request). Afterwards, we went to the public beach and played and swam for hours. Around 6:00 we left the beach and ate supper at Iguana's and went next door to the sweet shop for ice cream. It was a fun and very special day!
We also had a family birthday party for you the next day. Uncle David grilled hamburgers and hot dogs and we had a wonderful time being together. Sumner, you are loved by so many people who have enjoyed celebrating you!!!
Dear Sumner,
If I could only turn back the hands of time.... I would do it in a heartbeat. I would love to be able to rock you in your room one more time. I would love to be able to have you walking up to me hands raised for me to pick you up just one more time. I would love to hear your nasal/speech impediment voice one more time. I would love to count all the pivots as we drive just one more time. I would love to see you dancing (if you call it dancing) to the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse song just one more time. I would love to just be able to go back and do it all over again. I have to remind myself that I do not need to mourn the past, but instead live fully in the present. I love you Sumner, so much more than you ever realize. And despite what you say, I DO love you MORE! My prayer for you now is basically the same prayer I have had for you all your life.... I pray you will love God with all your heart. I pray your faith will never be shaken. I pray you will be surrounded by Godly influences, and shielded from the enemy. I pray when you grow up you will marry a Godly wife who also loves God with all of her heart. I pray you will have wisdom and discernment to recognize good from bad, and will be drawn to good. I pray you will always remember how much God loves you, and let that be what gets you through the sad/hard days. I am so proud of you, Sumner. I can't thank God enough for allowing me the privilege of being your mama. I love you as high as the sky and the ocean is deep and more and more and more!!!!
Love,
Mama







No comments:
Post a Comment