Verse

Verse

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Abigail is Half a Year Old


     Half way to a year old? I just can’t believe it! This has been the fastest six months (but also the sweetest) I have ever experienced.  I feel like I blinked, and time just flew!  Anna Ruth and I were watching videos I recorded of you when you were just a few weeks old.  It made us both sad to remember how small you were.  Anna Ruth asked if she could hold you like she held you in the video. I told her she couldn’t because you just did not lay there still like that anymore. I thought she was going to cry.  I just explained that even though we miss you as a baby, we have SO very much to look forward to as you grow older.  We had a fun month this past month.  Here are a few things we did and a few facts about the *6 month old* YOU!

- We took you to the lake for the first time on August 23rd. We went after church and came home that night. You napped the majority of the time. 
-  You mastered rolling over, which would have been fine, except at the beginning you had not mastered turning back over.  We had just stopped letting you sleep in the rock and play (because it was really making your head flat) and you started sleeping in the pack and play.  The first night or two you did fine.  But once you learned to roll over, we had a few “all nighters” which consisted of you rolling over, getting mad, and me turning you back over… Only to do it again a few minutes later.  After a couple of nights, you began enjoying sleeping on your stomach so once you rolled over you just stayed that way. 
- You were not a huge fan of your pack and play.  Who would be? It doesn’t seem to be very comfortable at all.  We are still living in the mobile home while our house is being done, which is the only reason you were not already sleeping in your crib.  Since you really were not sleeping well anymore, daddy went ahead and got your crib down (Anna Ruth’s old crib) and put it together in our room.  You love it! 
- You swung for the first time at Fletcher and Branch’s house.  Brach has a baby swing and he shared with you. 😊 You liked it a lot. Since then I have also sat in a real swing with you in my lap and we have swung together.
- You went to the beach for the very first time (St. Simons Island).  You went out to the beach, but only took a nap.  You were too little to get into the ocean. You did get in the pool for a few minutes though.  You were an awesome baby the whole time.  You took great naps under the tent on the beach and seemed to really enjoy the sight-seeing and shopping we did.
- Anna Ruth saw a little cup at Walmart and insisted you needed one… I started thinking how I did give her and Sumner one to play with more than drink from when they were about 4 months old, so I went ahead and bought you one.  The one I bought was a Tommee Tippee cup because it has a nipple on it just like the pacifier she has.  She won’t take any other paci other than this brand, so I was glad to see the cup had the same shaped nipple.  I could not believe how well she did. I put cold water in it and she drank a pretty good bit. She also chewed on the nipple a lot; I am sure it felt good to her little gums. Poor baby has acted like she has been teething for months, but still doesn’t have a tooth.  Anna Ruth did not get her first tooth until she was right at a year old. Sumner was about 13 months old before he got his first tooth. I was beginning to worry if he had any teeth. 
- You are wearing size 6-9 month clothes (except in onesies/pjs, you are wearing 12-18 months because they shrink so easily and get snug).
- You are wearing size 4 diapers.
- You still only drink about 4 oz every 3 hours.  I still put rice cereal in your bottles because of your spitting up.  I hope to be able to slow down or stop completely soon. We have tried several times, but you just were not ready.  I have not started feeding you baby food yet.  Mostly because you haven’t acted interested, up until about 2 weeks ago. Also, because I knew you were getting the rice cereal, so I didn’t want to over feed you.  Speaking of becoming interested in food… It just sort of started from nowhere.   All of a sudden you started reaching for my water bottle when you would see me drinking or reaching for my spoon when you would see me eating.  I plan to start feeding you one meal a day in the next week.
- You are still basically on the same schedule as before.  You wake up around 7ish.  You don’t stay up too long first thing in the morning before you are ready for your nap.  If we stay home all day, you seem to want to sleep more (maybe you’re just catching up from all the going).  On those days you typically stay awake about 1.5 hours and are ready for another nap.  When we are out doing things, you can stay awake a very long time without fussing at all.  But as soon as we put you back in the car seat your eyes shut in an instant.  You will sleep if we go out to eat as long as I bring your carrier in and put my phone next to you so you can hear the nature sound app.  You go to bed around 7:30 and rarely wake up during the night. 
- You are really starting to reach for people you know to hold you and turn away from people you do not know.  In fact, a few times someone you did not know held you and you got so scared and cried until I got you back.  The first time I could see it in your eyes when you made eye contact with me… It was as if you were saying “help me!”
- You loves playing with toys. I feel like you enjoy playing with toys more than Sumner and Anna Ruth did.  You really enjoys swatting at the things on your new seat and your exersaucer.  You also likes taking your paci in and out of her mouth. You are really reaching for things you want, too.
- Your big brother and sister are still just as in love with you and obsessed with you as ever!  Sumner started school and he told me you were the person he misses the most while he is gone.  He also is convinced you miss him terribly (and I am sure you do)! They both do a lot to keep you entertained, to say the least.  One day daddy had the two of them and you and I went to run a few errands. Our last stop was TJ Maxx.  Usually you go along with me and enjoy looking around at everything.  This time you were not having it. You got very ill.  Daddy called and said he was about to drop Sumner and AR off so he could go to a meeting.  We walked outside to get them from his truck. The minute you saw them your feet went to kicking and you started laughing so loud.  Needless to say, thanks to them showing up, I was able to finish up shopping (I was looking for Sumner’s school clothes) and you never made another peep! Who would have ever thought shopping with 3 would be easier than just 1?
- Who says the third child gets the short end of the stick? They obviously never met you! There just isn’t any way that would be possible given your contagious smile and sweet personality! You are the lucky one out of the three of you, because you are the only one who had a “1/2 Year Birthday Party!” Sumner and Anna Ruth came up with the idea, so we all went along! They decorated the house and I bought a cake.  The sad part about it is that you didn’t even get to eat your own birthday cake!?!?! Don’t worry, you’ll make up for it at your real birthday in February! Daddy did give you a little bit of icing from his finger. :)

Dear Abigail,
You are such a precious baby.  I cannot even describe how much love you bring to our family and how much joy you bring to every single person you come in contact with.  I am sad about Sumner and Anna Ruth being in school every day, because I will miss them. However, I am thankful that it will give us the opportunity to bond and spend alone time together. I love you sweet girl, as high as the sky and the ocean is deep and more and more and more!
Love.
Mama




















No comments:

Post a Comment