Verse

Verse

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Anna Ruth 14 Months Old and Sumner 2 Years and 8 Months Old

     For the past several days, I have been thinking how different life was exactly one year ago.  One year ago, Sumner was still very much a “baby” to me.  He was only a little over a year and a half old and was much more “needy” of me than he is today.  Anna Ruth was only two months old; with that comes the typical “newborn” characteristics which equal little sleep for mommy and daddy.  To say the least, Matthew and I had our hands full!  However, what made this time even more difficult was that Anna Ruth started having feeding/digestive issues which ended up putting her in the hospital for a few days, and almost resulted in a feeding tube.  In fact, she spent her 2 month birthday in the hospital.  It was a very scary, sad, difficult, and worrisome time for all of us.  When I look back on this time, I feel those same emotions all over again.  Thankfully, I know that those emotions belong in the past, and God saw us through it.  When I look at how far both my children have grown over the past year, I cannot help but to get on my knees and praise God and thank him for all he has blessed me with.

    I LOVE the “season” of my life right now.  I love being home with my children.  I love watching Anna Ruth and Sumner learn each and every day.  I love watching them enjoy each other’s company.  I even “love” breaking up little disagreements between the two of them (if that even makes sense.) Every day is really a new adventure because they truly do change, pick up a new habit, or learn a new skill each and every day! Here are just a few things that have gone on the past month:

Anna Ruth
·       She loves to play with her toy phones (and real ones.) She has several, and you can just about count on her holding one of them at any given time.
·       She has become very independent when it comes to mealtime.  She doesn’t want any help.  In fact, if you try to feed her she pushes your hand away and refuses to eat.  She has learned to feed herself with a spoon.  This is fun for her and a mess for me!
·       Her new thing is raising her arms up (as to answer a question) and talking in what sounds like a foreign language when asked “Where is ___?”
·       She knows where all of her body parts are when asked. 
·       She loves to play in her kitchen and have tea parties.
·       She loves to her hug, cuddle, and kiss her dolls and stuffed animals.
·       She is still 100% a mama’s girl. 
·       She is so funny… At home, I am not allowed to get out of her sight.  However, in public, when I don’t want her wandering off, she does!  It is crazy!
·       She always takes her socks, shoes, and bow out as soon as I strap her in the car seat.  I always tell her “no, no!” Lately I have heard her in the back pointing her little finger at her foot and saying “no, no,   no, no!”
·       Whenever she gets something she knows she isn’t supposed to have, she turns away and TAKES  OFF in a flash!  I wish I could get it on camera, but it just happens so fast.  Her little waddle is so  cute when she is trying to move fast!
·      She likes to help out in any way that she can.  When I am cleaning, she thinks she needs to be cleaning, too!  She has also started throwing her own diaper away.  I am not sure what made her decide to “ask” aka “point and grunt”, but now she gets upset when we don’t let her.
·       She loves to take a bath.  If she even hears someone mention the word “bath”, she drops whatever she is doing and takes off into the bathroom.
·       -She has become quite the “tattletale!” She lets everyone know when Sumner does something he isn’t supposed it, and even her DADDY! J One night Matthew was eating almonds.  She walked up to him and started pointing.  He told her she couldn’t have any because they were too hard.  Well, she didn’t like that answer.  Matthew said the second he told her no, she turned around crying and headed straight down the hall to find me.  The door was shut because I was taking a shower, and when she realized she could not get in, she fell to the ground and cried the biggest tears you have ever seen!  I thought something really bad had happened so I came running out. 
·       I am ready for spring time to get here because Anna Ruth has just about outgrown all of her winter clothes.  I do not want to go buy new ones because she won’t wear them long.
·       She loves pointing to pictures on our refrigerator and telling us who everyone is.
·       She likes to play with books.  Unfortunately she doesn’t necessarily like us to actually read them.  I try to read to her every night, but it never goes the way I would like because she wants to turn pages, open, shut, and do everything else besides sit still. 
- No changes in schedule.  She still takes to naps a day and sleeps from 7:30 pm-7:30 am.

Sumner
·       Sumner has got such a good imagination.  I cannot even begin to recall all of the ways he plays or all of the things he pretends to be.  A few examples are:
* He pretends to be a backhoe.  He made this up completely on his own.  He puts one arm in front, another in the back, and makes an engine noise.
*He goes around the house all day cutting you off by opening up his arm and saying “gate shut!” You have to ask permission for him to open the gate and let you by.  As you can imagine this irritates Anna Ruth to no end!
* He crawls around in a circle on the floor making the “choo-choo” sound, pretending to be a train.  Sometimes, he even makes people join along (and when this happens, he tells you where to go, what part of the train you are, and the most important part is who is the caboose!)
* He pretends to be other people or animals!  What I mean by this is he may decide one day he is Champ.  Therefore, he goes around like a dog (barking, panting!) Other days he may tell you he is “Daddy” or anyone for that matter!  So, we have to call him and pretend like he is whoever he says he is.  It is so funny!
·       Sumner’s new thing is “Why?” Oh yes, every parent’s worst nightmare!  When he gets on a “why?” kick, it could last forever!!!! I honestly don’t know how it ever ends.  I guess he just gets bored or distracted? A conversation could go like this:
* Me: “Come on, Sumner.  We need to put your jacket on.”
* Sumner: “Why?”
*Me: “Because we are about to go outside.”
Sumner: “Why?”
*Me: “Because it is cold and your jacket will keep you warm.”
Sumner: “Why?”
Me: “Because that’s just what jackets do” (hoping to end this conversation.)
Sumner: “Why?”
And you see this could just keep going on and on and on!
·       He is really starting the grasp (as much as a 2 ½ year old can) what birthday parties are all about.  He told me wanted to have a train party. 
·       He picks up new phrases all the time, and I am not sure where he learns them.  The latest one I have heard him say is “I sure did” when I ask him questions like “did you like___” or “did you go to ___.” And he says it so “matter of fact-ly.”
·       Despite Matthew’s disapproval, Sumner loves to play in his sister’s kitchen! Haha! Not only does he like to play in her kitchen, but real kitchens too! 
·       He loves to learn.  I only pray his love for learning will continue…  He asks me all the time to read his shapes book with him, or read “1-2-3 book” aka numbers book, or read “blue/green book” aka colors book.  He is learning to write letters and he is also learning his sight words.  His memory is incredible.  He learned 5 of the sight words after watching a Preschool Prep dvd once.  I can read a book to him just a few times, and he pretty much has it memorized.  And what is even more impressive is that he doesn’t forget.  Last night I read a book to him that we have not read in several weeks.  He was able to fill in several lines on each page just from his memory.

First Trip to the Dentist

Sumner and Anna Ruth had their very first trip to the dentist on February 18, 2015.  They saw Dr. Webster. We loved him and his staff.  Everyone was so nice, bubbly, and helpful.  The entire facility was kid friendly.  The visit was a short one.  Dr. Webster basically just looked in each of their mouths to make sure everything was developing correctly.  He gave me tips on brushing and taking care of their teeth. The dental hygienist brushed their teeth, too.  Both children loved it.  In fact, Anna Ruth cried when I took her out of the chair! After the visit, both Sumner and Anna Ruth got to dig for treasure in his big treasure chest.  They both picked out toy cars (or should I say Sumner picked them both out two cars!)

Dear Sumner and Anna Ruth,
I hope you always know how loved and special you are to so many people.  Most importantly, I hope you always know how loved and special you are to the one who gave you to me, Jesus.  I pray each and every day that your daddy and I will make the right decisions as we raise you.  I also pray that both of you will accept Jesus into your heart at a young age and follow him all of the days of your life.  There is not greater decision you will ever make.
I love you both as high as the sky and the ocean is deep and more and more and more.
Love,

Mama










No comments:

Post a Comment