Over the past month she has really learned a lot. Below are just a few of the major things I have noticed:
- Anna Ruth has started pitching little fits when she does not get her way. I understand this is a typical stage. However, Matthew and I believe we need to start teaching right from wrong at an early age. Thankfully, she is responsive to the discipline so far. Most of the time a stern "No-No!" will suffice.
- Despite Anna Ruth's new fit pitching, she is still a very loving, cuddly, sweet baby. She walks up to me all the time just to give me a kiss and a hug. If I am standing she will squeeze my legs and give them a kiss. She loves to be held. When she lays her head on your shoulder, she pats your back in such a loving way.
-Anna Ruth has done great losing the bottle. The first few nights she fussed for a short time because she was used to having a bottle before bed. Now, she doesn't mind at all. When I notice she is getting sleepy, I can say to her "Anna Ruth, are you ready to go night-night?", and she drops what she is doing and walks to her room. She doesn't fuss at all. This little girl has always loved her sleep.
-This month she has learned where her nose and ears are. She has said "ball" and "no-no" very clearly. She imitates a lot of other things we say, too.
-She loves to play with her kitchen, tea set, and table. Without me teaching her, she poured me a pretend cup of tea. As she poured, she made the ssshhhh sound, as if it imitate the sound of the tea pouring out. She loves to get a bowl and spoon and pretend to eat. She also likes the phone that goes with her kitchen. She walks around with it propped on her shoulder jabbering.
-She loves all of her baby dolls. She rocks, hugs, and kisses them all the time.
-Anna Ruth has learned to point. She points and babbles at things she wants.
-My mama and Sumner play this made up game that we call "Come Back Little Boy." Basically mama tells Sumner "come back little boy" over and over again, and he stops whatever he is doing and runs from her. I have no idea why, but part of the game is that he must run to the laundry room... I guess that is sort of "base!" My mama pretends to try to catch him, but in reality is letting him get away. Once she finally does catch him she says "I've gotcha little boy" over and over until he gets down and asks to play again. It is such a strange, simple game, but for some reason, he loves it. Well a few weeks ago, Anna Ruth decided she wanted to play. It is so funny because without being taught, she does EVERYTHING (including the swaying of her head once she has been caught) just like Sumner. This proves how much she watches and learns from her big brother.
-Anna Ruth likes to shut doors. For her, finding an open door is exciting because it means she gets to shut it!
- I guess because of our recent visit to Santa, Anna Ruth is scared of ANYONE with a beard. The funniest thing happened a few nights ago. We were at a restaurant and she was sitting in her high chair beside me. She was eating and acting fine when out of nowhere she started yelling and grabbing for me. I picked her up and she buried her head into my chest. I had know idea what had happened. Then I noticed she kept peaking out and looking behind me. Every time she would do this she would cry again. When I looked behind me, I saw an older man sitting directly behind me... and he had a long grey beard. She would not let me put her down until after he left!
-Anna Ruth still takes 2 naps a day (bedtime 7:00pm/wake up 8). She has 2 teeth. She loves her sippy cup (water or milk.) She drinks a lot! She wears size 12 month clothes and size 4 diapers. She weighs about 22 lbs.
Sumner
- Sumner is such a sweetie, too! He isn't as affectionate as Anna Ruth, but when he is, it makes up for it! I love it when he gives me random hugs, asks to hold my hand, and lets me hold him.
- I think we are about go move Sumner to a twin bed. He is getting too close to climbing out of his crib. It makes me sad because it is just another sign he is growing up. I honestly do not know how it happens so fast.
-Sumner is such a big helper. He loves feeling "needed" and helping us do stuff. I hope this willingness continues as he gets older. For now, picking up pinecones, feeding chickens, and cleaning Champ's pen with his "Top" aka "Poppy" aka "Mr. Charles" is the highlight of his week! He is also very good about cleaning up his room and toys. All I have to do is tell him once and he immediately starts singing the "clean up" song and picking everything up. Not only does he pick up all of his toys, but it amazes me because he puts everything in the exact place it belongs. I have most of their toys organized in buckets and baskets (imagine that!) and he puts each toy in the correct place.
-Sumner loves reading his bedtime stories. Every night he asks "just one more?"
-One of his new favorite snacks are raisins.
-I have noticed many similarities between Sumner and Anna Ruth from the beginning. I have also noticed a lot of differences. A few differences I have noticed lately are:
* Sumner HATES when we rinse his hair. He hates it because he doesn't like the water on his face. It was the same way with swimming. It was a challenge to get him to go under the water. Anna Ruth on the other hand loves it. She doesn't care a bit when we pour water on her head. In fact, I have to stop her all the time from putting her entire face in the bath water.
*Sumner does not like hot things. His bath water has to be lukewarm and he touches all his food before he eats it to make sure it isn't hot. He whines when it is a "touch" warm. Same thing with the hair dryer... When I dry Sumner's hair I have to turn the setting to "cool." Anna Ruth on the other hand doesn't care a bit.
This has been a very special month. I am so thankful for my sweet family. God has truly blessed me more than I deserve.
Dear Sumner and Anna Ruth,
For some reason, I have been more emotional than usual (I'm not sure how that is possible) about things involving you. When I hear tragic stories about children who were called home early to be with God, or battling some sort of illness or disorder, or being neglected and abused, I break down. I cannot tell you how many times in the past month I have gotten you out of bed to hold you. I just love you both more than you will ever be able to understand. You are my dream come true. I hope for as long as you live, you will always know how special you are to me. I pray each and every night for your salvation, your future, and your health. Each night I thank God for another day we were able to spend together, and pray for our safety for the next.
It is so hard for me to understand how fast time goes by. It is so hard for me to imagine you being 5, 8, 10.... Even harder to imagine you being old enough to drive, go to college, get married, and have a family of your own.
I am going to try very hard to stop dreading the thought of you no longer being "my babies" and instead, live each day in the present.
I cannot wait to see what new things both of you learn in the weeks ahead.
I love you as high as the sky and the ocean is deep and more and more and more!
Love,


No comments:
Post a Comment