Verse

Verse

Monday, July 28, 2014

Anna Ruth is Seven Months Old



I can’t believe I just had to erase the number six of the birthday months chalkboard and draw a seven.  It seems like just yesterday I drew a one on it.  I remember it was a Sunday night and Matthew and Sumner were at church so it was just me and my baby girl.  Now, here she is racing towards her first birthday, and I am praying time slows down!  I am so thankful to have been able to be off from work since she was born, and now for a job that allows me to work from home.  It is an amazing feeling knowing I will never have to leave them again for work.  Time has gone by slower since she has been born because I haven’t had the hustle and bustle of work life.  Instead, I have been able to savor all the moments I get to spend with my children.
Anna Ruth has changed a lot over the past few weeks.  Here are some things she has been up to.
  •   She loves to stand and jump.  Every time I try to hold her in my lap she stiffens up her legs and pulls herself up to a standing position and smiles.  She likes it when I stand up while holding her two hands and let her “walk” around.  She starts fussing the minute you sit her down.  She also likes to face you when she is being held and bounce on your legs.  She isn’t too crazy about the bouncy thing that hangs from the doorway.  Maybe it’s because she hasn’t figured it out yet.  I am sure once she does she will want to be in it all the time.
  •   She isn’t crawling.  Sumner started crying the week after he turned 7 months old.  However, he would put himself into the crawling position and rock back and forth for weeks before he actually crawled.  Anna Ruth doesn’t seem like she is interested in it at all because she hates being on her stomach, therefore she isn’t experiencing with it.  I put her on her stomach several times throughout the day to help her strengthen her arms.
  •   She eats three “meals” a day and drinks about 5 oz. of formula every three hours. 
  •  A few days before she turned 7 months old she quit waking up during the night.  She goes to bed around 7:00 pm and wakes up between 6-7 in the morning. 
  •  She laughs a lot more now, especially at Sumner.  She watches everything he does. 
  •  She has gotten good at drinking from her sippy cup.  This happened a few days ago.  I had been giving it to her for a while and she just chewed on it but now she really drinks the water.
  •  She has been saying “dada” for about 2 months but a few weeks ago I noticed she only said it when Matthew was around.  I really think she is calling him “dada.” Then, a few days ago I heard her say “mama.” It melted my heart, even though I think she was just saying it for fun.  But then, all of a sudden she started saying it when she wanted something and she would stare at me as she said it.  Maybe it was just a coincidence, but it makes me excited none the less!
  • She sits in a buggy and a high chair.
  •   She likes sitting in the floor and playing with toys.
  •  Size 6-9 month clothes
  •  Size 3 diapers
  • No teeth
  •   3 naps a day (morning, early afternoon, late afternoon)
  •  She has always been such an easy going and happy baby.  However, lately her “temperament” has started to show.  I think it is because she wants so bad to be moving and be active and she just can’t yet.  I know she will be so much happier once she can crawl and walk.
  •  She loves my cell phone.  When she sees it she dives to get her hands on it.
  • The longer her hair gets the wilder it gets.  Everywhere we go she gets attention about her hair because it sticks up all over the place.  It is adorable!!  At night, after her bath, I always brush it down.  About 5 minutes after brushing it little pieces start popping up all over the place!
  • She still loves bath time.  She and Sumner usually get a bath together, and she loves playing with him.  She also likes playing with her bath toys.
  • Anna Ruth thinks she is a model!  My Uncle Jimmy took her 6 month pictures at his studio and she had the time of her life.  She was in heaven having everyone ooohhhh and aaahhhh over her.  It really seemed like she was posing for the camera!                                                                                                  
  • She has learned to clap!
Sumner has changed a lot over the past few weeks, too! Here are some things he is up to.
  • The terrible two’s are REALLY here I am afraid.  It is so hard trying to find the balance with discipline.  I know it’s important to teach him right from wrong, but sometimes I just don’t know what he is old enough to understand.  Matthew and I are just praying about it and asking for God’s guidance. 
  •  He is going through another clingy stage.  At night, we always read him a book, say his prayers, and rock him for a few minutes before laying him down.  It used to not matter who did these things with him.  Usually I do it, but sometimes my mama will if she is there or Matthew.  But lately, he will let someone else read the book and say prayers but when it’s time to rock he cries for me.  Then, when I go to lay him down he cries and says “one more time!” So, I rock again!  Even though it takes longer than usual, I love it.  I love the feeling of knowing I am that one person he needs.  I know it will not always be that way, so I am enjoying every second of it while I can.  When people find out I still rock him at night I get a lot of criticism, but I don’t care.  I am doing what is right for our family.  I hear many people say it is bad to get babies in the habit of rocking to sleep because then they will always need you to but I disagree.  How many kids grow up and still insist on being rocked?  My guess is none.  That is because one day they will just out of the blue decide on the own that they are too big to be rocked.  Therefore, I want to do it as long as I can because I know that one day (sooner that I want) Sumner will decide he doesn’t want to be rocked anymore.  Some people have the mindset that you should train “babies” so they are “convenient.”  I just don’t have that same mindset.  I am not saying one way is better than another.  Everyone has different personalities and has to find what works for them.
  •  Another stage Sumner is going through is being afraid of the dark.  He won’t go into a room with the lights off without running to get me and asking me to go with him.  He has a nightlight in his room, but while he is going through this stage we also turn the closet light on until he falls asleep.
  •  Part of the terrible two’s stage is not wanting to share… especially with Anna Ruth.  We are really working hard on breaking this stage.
  •  Sumner is going great with using the potty. The only time he wears diapers is to sleep.
  •  Regardless of Sumner going through the “terrible twos” stage, he is still the sweetest, loving, and affectionate little boy I have ever known.  He loves giving everyone hugs and kisses (strangers included) and has a tender heart.  He has the best personality and keeps everyone entertained.  He loves playing, being outside, swimming, sliding, jumping, singing, dancing… He loves life!  He is happy 99.9% of the time and his energy is contagious!  You just cannot be around him for long without feeling like a kid again yourself.  I just cannot list the millions of reasons why I think he is just the best little boy on earth! 
Dear Sumner and Anna Ruth,
Thank you for another awesome month!!!!  God truly answered my prayers by allowing me to stay home and raise you.  I cannot begin to express the joy I feel every time I think about how I will be present for your childhood.  I love every second I get to spend with you.  I love watching you grow and learn new things!  Your daddy and I thank God every day for giving you to us.  I hope you always know how loved you are!  I love you as high as the sky and the ocean is deep and more and more and more!
Love,
Mama









No comments:

Post a Comment