Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it. Psalm 127:1
Verse
Saturday, August 17, 2013
14 Months Old
Time sure is flying. It is hard to believe it has been two months since we celebrated Sumner's first birthday! I know this sounds cliche', but I truly love him more and more each day. It's like one day I feel like my heart is bursting with love and it just couldn't handle anymore, and then the next day comes, and my love is even stronger. The older he gets the harder it is to leave him, too. I just love spending all my time with him. When I leave to go to work I feel sad and all day I find myself thinking about what he is probably doing. I get to "talk" to him on the phone at least once a day so he can give me a kiss over the phone.... priceless! I can actually hear him say "muh-ah" as he kisses the phone!
Well, my love for him may be growing and growing, but Sumner's love for his Poppie (Matthew's daddy) is booming! It beats all I have ever seen. When Poppie comes around, no one else matters. He usually doesn't like to be held (he is just too busy), but not with Poppie! He loves for Poppie to hold him and carry him around. When Mr. Charles puts him down or starts to leave he whines and reaches for him to pick him up again. Mr. Charles takes up a lot of time with him. He comes and gets him every morning around 8:30 and he doesn't bring him back until at least 10:30. They go riding on the golf cart, they visit Sumner's great grandmother, they feed the chickens and pet the horses, then Poppie takes him back to his house and feeds him a fruit cup and half a banana. This is a ritual Sumner has come to expect. Sumner knows when his Poppie should be arriving so he waits for him at out french doors leading to the screen porch. From there he has a clear shot to him riding up on the golf cart. One day I heard Sumner whining at the doors so I went to see what was wrong. Then I realized Mr. Charles was outside cutting our grass. I had to open up our shutters in the front of the house so Sumner could see him when he started mowing the front yard. There is no telling how long Sumner stood in front of those windows watching Mr. Charles ride back and forth.
What's new?
*Sumner loves to eat. Luckily he is not a picky eater and eats everything I give him. I try to give him a wide variety of healthy foods. I buy mostly organic fruits and vegetables as well as milk. My grocery bill has doubled in the past month or so because not only is buying organic more expensive, but he eats so much. My weekly grocery list ALWAYS consists of grapes, avocados, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, milk, carrots, and sweet potatoes. These are things he eats regularly and we go through in a one week span. Nothing gets wasted. In fact, by the end of the week I am scrapping to get by.
* Sumner is learning his body parts. He knows where his ears, nose, mouth, belly button, tummy, and toes are.
* Sumner has learned to open doors! So much for shutting him out of places we don't want him to be! I took a shower in the mud room bathroom and had him in the bathroom with me. This normally works, but not anymore! Before I could get out and catch him he managed to not only open the bathroom door, but proceeded to escape even farther by opening the laundry room door as well. I am sure he felt pretty pleased with himself now that he had the house free to himself! Needless to say that was one of the fastest showers I have ever taken!
* It amazes me how observant he is! He notices everything and has an amazing memory. He doesn't forget anything. For instance, I keep his baby monitor beside our bed. I've never made any remarks about putting it on the charger or where it belonged. One day I accidentally left it in his arms reach and he picked it up, walked back to our room, stood on his tippy toes, and put it back on the charger, without me saying a word. I couldn't believe he knew where it went. Another example happened a few weeks ago. I keep his dirty laundry in a basket in his room. He went into his room and brought a dirty shirt to me in the living room. I gave it back to him and told him to go put it away. He immediately turned and walked backed to his room, returning this time with two bibs. He gave the bibs to me, and again I told him to put them away. Again, he headed back to his room. I really didn't think he had put them where they belonged, but when I went back later to check the bibs were back in his bib drawer and his shirt was in the dirty clothes basket. He loves shoes. Well, not really loves shoes but loves to give people their shoes. It amazes me because he can find a pile of shoes at the back door, get two matching shoes, and actually put them at the foot of the person they belong to. He says "there!" and throws them down. He knows whose shoes are who... I don't know how he does it. Its crazy! "Shoes" is also a new word he has learned this month!
*Sumner is having a little separation anxiety. He doesn't get upset when we leave, as long as he is in a familiar place with familiar people. But when people he doesn't see a lot come to our house, or if I leave him in the church nursery, he goes to pieces.
*Sumner got into his first ant bed this month. He must be tough because he didn't cry, and they really tore him up. I guess I just caught them soon enough, but it really caused whelps on his little legs. He never acted like it bothered him though.
*We have established a new bedtime routine at our house. Every night when it is time for Sumner to go to sleep we say "lets go to bed" and he stops what he is doing, walks to his room, stands on his tippy toes, reaches for his book, gives it to me, and crawls in my lap. Then, Matthew, Sumner, and I have our "cheesy" parenting moment of reading Sumner the book "Where's Spot?" It is a hide and seek book and Sumner LOVES opening each flap looking for the puppy, Spot! Under each flap is a picture of another animal (instead of Spot) but at the end we eventually find Spot. As we read the book and Sumner opens the flaps, Matthew and I make the animals sounds and Sumner "Wee's!" and "There!" all the way through. I would change the book up a little bit and read a different one, but I think Sumner would truly be disappointed! Once the book comes to an end we give him his milk so he will be still and the three of us say our prayers together. Sumner concludes each prayer with his own "Men" aka "Amen".
*Ever since we started feeding Sumner baby food we have always said the blessing with him. In the past month he has started crossing his sweet little hands when we pray. It is the sweetest thing EVER!!!
These are just a few of the highlights we have experienced the past month. He is becoming such a funny, entertaining, smart, little boy as each day passes. I love how each day he learns something new and brings more joy to out lives.
Dear Sumner,
Thank you for making me smile each and every day. I didn't realize how much I could possibly love you. You are everything to your daddy and I. We look forward to sharing many more memories with you.
I love you as high as the sky and the ocean is deep and more and more and more!
Love,
Mama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment