Every night
when I put Sumner to sleep I say prayer.
This prayer is a personal prayer of mine, meaning it includes my
personal conversation with God. I chose
this time to pray because it is a very peaceful time for me. The room is quiet and dark. I am also holding my sweet angel. Another reason I chose this time to pray is
because it is establishing a habit to always saying bedtime prayers with
Sumner. For the most part the prayer is
the same every night. However, I of
course I include a variety of things which are different from day to day
depending on my mood, my day, or prayer requests. After I say my prayer, I lay Sumner down and call Matthew to come tuck him in. Once he is all tucked in, Matthew says a prayer, too. I wanted to type up the main part of my
prayer so one day I can share it with Sumner, and he will know what my prayers
and hopes were for him when he was just a baby.
Here it goes…
Dear Lord,
Thank you for this day. Thank you for all of the blessings you have
given me. Thank you for Sumner. Thank you for giving us such a healthy baby
boy. I am sorry for taking things for
granted. Dear Lord, please watch over
him and keep him safe through the night.
Please help him to rest well and help him with his tummy problems. Please relieve him so he can be comfortable.
Dear Lord, please help Matthew and I
to be the best parents we can be. Please
help us to always look to you for guidance.
Please help us to raise Sumner in a way that is pleasing to you. Please strengthen our marriage and keep us
close to each other and close to you. I
want our marriage to be a good example for Sumner. Please help us to be the kind of parents that
Sumner feels comfortable sharing things with, but at the same time has respect
for.
Please be with us as we make decisions regarding his life. With us living in Tifton, we have to choose
where we want to send him to school, Colquitt or Tift. Decisions like these can have a huge impact
on his life. Please lead us in the right
direction. I do not know what the future
holds, but you do. Please help us all to
deal with challenges that may come our way.
Help us to remember you will never give us more than we can handle. Help us to look to you for comfort and peace
when bad things do happen. At the same
time, help us to praise you for all of the good.
Lord, I pray for protection for
Matthew and I. Please allow us to live
safe, happy, and healthy lives so we can both be around to raise Sumner and see
him grow. I know you have a plan and a
purpose for everything. But selfishly I
ask to please allow us to be around for a long time in order to take care of
him. I cannot stand the thought of him having
to live without both of his parents because no one can possibly love him the
same way Matthew and I do. But, if
something were to happen, please take care of him and a please help the person
left to raise him take care of him and love him the way we would have. Please let him know how much he was loved and
how special he was to us since the very first time we laid eyes on him.
Lord, I do not care if Sumner grows
up to be the smartest, the most popular, or the most athletic. My only desire is that he grows up to be a
Christian and follow you. Please deal
with his heart and speak to him at an early age. Please help him to overcome the temptations
and peer pressures he will face as he grows older. Please send him Christian friends to help him
in his walk with you. When he gets
older, and begins dating, please help him to be wise in choosing girls to
date. Please send him Christians who
share his beliefs, morals, and values.
Please help him to find the right wife one day. A wife you created for him, who also loves
and follows you.
Please, God, be with our
families. Keep them safe. Thank you for giving us such a wonderful
family who loves us and supports us.
Sumner is so blessed to have so many loving people in his life.
Dear Lord, please forgive me of all
my sins. Help me to have a stronger relationship
with you and seek your will for my life.
Thank you again for all my many blessings.
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment