Verse

Verse

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Sumner's Second Month

I'm 2 Months Old!

When I blogged last month about Sumner, I had no idea how much he would he would have changed by the time I blogged again.  It is unreal! He went from being this little human that basically just looked to me to meet his basic needs.  His days consisted of eating and sleeping.  Now is so much more than that.  His personality is starting to show and so is his temperament… LOL. 

At five and a half weeks I noticed Sumner smiling, I mean really smiling, like for a reason.  It would happen occasionally, but nothing real consistent.  Now, he smiles all the time, and it will just melt your heart.  On August 4th, Sumner started waking up so I went to get him.  As usual he was stretching like crazy.  His head was towards the door, so when I walked in he could hear something, so he turned and looked.  When he saw me his eyes got so big and bright, his feet went to kicking, and he gave me the biggest grin I had ever seen him give.  I nearly cried.  It was so sweet.  It was the first time I thought he recognized me.  I wasn’t convinced he truly recognized me until this same thing kept happening over and over again, and only to me! J It makes me feel so loved and so special.
                      
One of his first smiles                                                                   Now he really has it down pat!



This has been sort of a stressful month for Matthew and I because Sumner’s acid reflux has gotten so terrible.  We first started noticing a problem when he was about three and a half weeks old.  We switched his formula twice and nothing seemed to help.  He had an upper GI done about three weeks ago.  That was tough because he had to go 6 hours without eating…. When he finally was able to eat, it was a  2 oz bottle of barium.  He drank it while they x-rayed him to see how we digested it.  Matthew and I were in the room and the doctor performing the procedure showed us how bad his reflux was… You could see the liquid going in and shoot straight back up.  Instantly after he drank it, he spit the entire thing back up…. They put him on a prescription for the reflux, and recommended us to a specialist in Macon.  We go to that appointment August 15th.  Please pray we get good results. 
After his Upper GI



Luckily, we have a wonderful support system.  Dr. Griffen and her nurse, Jennifer are the best.  I truly believe they care about Sumner and go the extra mile to see that he is taken care of.  I am so glad God pointed us in their direction when we were choosing a pediatrician.  I cannot say enough wonderful things about them.

Sumner’s sleeping has gotten much better.  I try to put him to bed between 8:30-9:30 each night.  I do this by rocking him/feeding him in his room with the lights out, his sleep sheep playing, an overhead projector thing going, and I sing softly “You are my Sunshine” over and over. Once he is done eating I put him over my shoulder and gently burp him.  During this time I  pray out loud.  I hold him like this for about thirty minutes.  This is the best part of my whole day.  Then, I call Matthew to his room.  Together we tuck him in and then Matthew says a prayer.  Finally, we both kiss him goodnight. It is a special time for all of us.  

Sumner is still sleeping in his nap nanny.  We do not swaddle him anymore.  However, we do wrap a light blanket around his hips and legs and tuck it is real good around him.  I am terrified of SIDS so I bought a Snuzu HALO that clips to his diaper and rests on his belly that monitors his breathing.  If he goes fifteen seconds without breathing it will vibrate, hopefully stimulating him to breath.  If he still does not breathe it will sound an alarm so Matthew and I will know.  Hopefully that will never happen!




Sumner eats between 5-5 ½ ounces.  I have tried and tried to do less but he screams his little head off until I give him the 5-5 ½ ounces.  Nothing will make him stop, not even a pacifier, until I give him all he wants.  Once he gets it, he is fine.  I thought maybe his spitting up was so bad because he ate so much.  But, when I fed him 3 ounces, he spit up just as bad.  The only difference was when he got 3 ounces he would be mad and spitting up instead of just spitting up!

He has developed a bit of a temperament.  I have found that he does not like to be moved once he is content somewhere.  For instance, if he is in his swing and someone comes over to see him, of course they want to hold him.  But, when they move him from where he was to somewhere new, he gets mad and will cry!  It’s the same way if he is on his mat in the floor.  If he is happy there, he wants to stay there! Beware if you try to pick him up and move him somewhere different.  He isn’t really the kind of baby that likes to be cuddled, which makes me sad L I want to hold him and rock him and snuggle… Maybe this is just a stage….? Maybe the next time I blog I will be saying he doesn’t want to be put down! J

He likes looking around.  He lifts his head up so good.  When he goes somewhere new, he takes it all in.  His absolutely LOVES being outside!  When is fussy in the evenings, I can usually walk outside with him and he gets better.  This makes Matthew happy!  He said he knew his son would like the outdoors!

He loves his bath!!!! He gets upset when its over and cries.  Not as much as he use to though.  I have learned to take him out slowly and not to lay him down to change him right away.  Instead, I let him sit up and look around while I bundle him up.  This works much better!
       

He rolled over at my mama’s house on August 5th.  I do not count this as a true “roll over” because he was on my bed and we were lying beside him so the mattress was tilted just a bit to help him!  He is getting very close though.  He gets on his side very easily and just about rolls over all the time.  He does not, and I will repeat, DOES NOT like tummy time AT ALL. I am going to buy him a mini boppy pillow.  I have heard they help babies who do not like tummy time.

Sumner goes for his 2 month wellness visit tomorrow.  I will post then how it went…. I am scared because he gets his shots.  In fact, I had a bad dream about it last night…

Update: Sumner's 2 month wellness visit went good.  He weighed 11 lbs and 10 oz.  He was 23 in long.  He didn't like his shots, but who does....? I had a bottle ready and waiting on him as soon as the shots were over, which helped.  Mrs. Jennifwe, his nurse, gave him a dum dum sucker to lick on while he got his shots.  He really liked that!  When we got home we could tell he didn't feel good so we let him sit in his favorite place, the swing.  Later we gave him a bath.  He wasn't his normal smiley self, though.  He went to bed around 9:30 and woke up at 2:30.  He wasn't hungry, just fussy.  I stayed up with him until around 3:30 which is when he started to act hungry.  I fed him and put him back to bed.  He woke up again at 6:30, again, not hungry.  So, I put him in his swing and I slept on the couch until 9:30 when he woke up to eat.  He is feeling much better today!
After his doctor's visit

I love him so much.  I am so lucky to be his mama! I cannot wait to see what this next month has in store for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment