Verse

Verse

Thursday, April 7, 2016

2016 Spring Break Family Vacation


For Spring Break this year we went to Sanibel Island, Florida.  Well actually we stayed a little south of Sanibel at Captiva Island at South Seas Island Resort.  We were blessed with great weather! The resort itself was fabulous! You literally didn’t have to drive anywhere once you got there.  You could travel by bike, golf cart, or trolley (Sumner’s #1 choice) anywhere you wanted to go.  There were several restaurants and shops located inside the resort and everything was family oriented.  Everything was perfect!

We drove down during the middle of the night.  In fact, we left our house at 12:30 AM.  The kids slept the entire way.  I slept off and on.  We stopped at 6:30 to eat at a Cracker Barrel.  We were about 45 minutes away from the beach then.  The kids didn’t wake up until 8:00 so Matthew and I napped until they woke up.

Once we got to the room we hit the pool.  It had rained earlier that morning, so it was a little cool, but the kids did not mind.  They swam and swam!  We had a picnic at the pool and the kids took naps.  That evening we went out to eat at Doc Fords.

The next day we went to the bigger pool at the main part of the resort which had several larger pools and a water park.  I cannot express how much the kids loved to swim. We were at the pool or beach every day by 9:30 and we stayed every day until 4:00 or so.   That night we ate in the room.  I cooked a few meals before we left Friday and we carried a cooler down so we didn’t have to eat out so much. 

The third day we hit the beach!  Sumner loved everything about it; the sand, the ocean, everything! It took Anna Ruth some getting used to.  She eventually warmed up to the sand, and played, but she never would get in the ocean.  We stayed at the beach all day.  We went out for supper to a neat place called the Bubble Room.  Sumner loved it because of the “Christmas lights.” Both of the kids were exhausted after dinner so we went back to the room to get ready for bed early.  But sometime after their pjs were on and their teeth were brushed, ice cream was calling our names so we went to the local DQ.  Both kids fell asleep on the drive home from Dairy Queen and we never heard another peep from them until the next morning.

We asked the kids what they wanted to do on the last full day we would be there and both said they wanted to go to the main pool area, so that’s what we did! We spent the entire day there!  It beat all I had ever seen how two small children there age could swim and swim and swim and never get ill and never get tired (at least where they appeared to be tired.)  After we ate our picnic lunch, we did get them to rest a bit before swimming again, and they each ended up sleeping for two hours or more.  After their naps we swam a little more.  They had two slides and I bet Sumner went down them 100 times.  Anna Ruth wanted to so bad, but wasn’t tall enough.  Before heading back to our room we stopped for ice cream at a 50’s style ice cream parlor. We ate supper in our room again.

On our final day we woke up early and hit the pool and then the beach. We were at the beach by 8:30.  We had to check out at 11 so we got back to our room at 10:30 and took a quick shower and changed clothes.  We weren’t in a hurry to leave so we stopped in Sanibel and ate lunch at The Lazy Flamingo.  After lunch we visited a Wildlife Refuge. 

We gassed up and headed north around 4:00.  Let me just say we should have waited until midnight to drive home, too.  The kids were not too excited about driving 7 hours! In fact, if Matthew weren’t leaving for the Masters the next day, we probably would have waited to leave even later. We stopped at Cracker Barrel about 7:00 PM and ate supper. After supper we changed the kids into their pjs and told them it was time to go night-night.  It didn’t take long for them to go to sleep so the remainder of the ride home (which was about 5 hours) went great!

To say it was a great trip would be an understatement! We had the very best time together and made so many memories I will cherish forever!  I love my little family and I pray God blesses us with many more!

Dear Sumner and Anna Ruth.

I know you are probably too young to remember this trip, but we took enough pictures and videos so you can see how much fun we had and how loved you both are.  I pray that you two will always be close to each other, long after I am gone.  I also pray that as you grow older that you will still enjoy spending time together as a family.  I cherish every moment I get to spend with you.  I love you more than you will ever know! Thanks for making my dreams of being a mother come true.  This life is even better than I ever imagined!

I love you both as high as the sky and the ocean is deep and more and more and more!

Love,

Mama





























No comments:

Post a Comment