Verse

Verse

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sleepover at DD's

Sumner spent the night at DD's (my mama) for the first time without me Saturday, March 23rd and it was tougher than I thought it would be. Actually, he spent the entire weekend at her house. However, we both stayed Friday night. I had to be at Brooks County High School to take a test at 7:45 Saturday morning and Matthew had to be at our church to help with the Wild Game Supper early that same morning and had also worked at the church late Friday night. Instead of me having to drive Sumner to my mama's early Saturday morning, it made sense to sleep over. Plus, I love spending time with her, so having an excuse to stay over is always nice. Friday night was fun. Walter came home just because he knew Sumner would be there. The four of us played hard. Sumner was so wound up he didn't want to go to sleep. He finally went to bed around 9:00 which is later than usual. I finished my test around noon Saturday and went back to mama's house. I could have just gone straight to my own house or go to the church, but I already hate not being able to spend time with Sumner during the week while I am at work, so I didn't want to miss time with him on Saturday. I left mama's house around 4:00 and went to the church. Matthew had been there all day cooking with the other men. Originally, I didn't plan on Sumner spending the night at my mama's Saturday night. It wasn't until I realized I would be at the church later than I first anticipated that I asked Matthew if he cared if Sumner stayed the night, and he agreed it would be best. We would have hated to wake Sumner up and drive home once he was already asleep. Plus, I had packed a lot of extra things (I always over pack) so he had everything he needed.  I trust my mama 100%, in fact, besides Matthew, I trust her more than anyone else, but I still called and texted her constantly checking on him.
I left the church before Matthew. When I came home it was the strangest thing not having Sumner with me. I didn't like it at all. When I took my bath I kept thinking I needed to hurry in case Sumner "wakes up" and I had to remind myself he wasn't there. Even though it was late and he would have been sleeping, I still missed him. In fact, I missed him like crazy. I find it comforting knowing he is in his room just feet away from me. I can already tell I am going to be like my mama in the fact that she never liked to do anything without us when we were growing up. I won't be the kind of mother who enjoys having her kids out of the house. Instead, I am going to have to "give in" and let Sumner go to his grandparents’ house for sleepovers when he gets older. I always try to be considerate and think of how I want to be treated, so I know I need to let his grandparents have their time with him, so I will. I also know it is important for children to learn to be independent as they become older, and it is good for husbands and wives to have alone time, but Matthew and I both just love having Sumner with us at all times.
Needless to say, I had a much harder time with the sleepover than Sumner did. He had a blast. He played his little heart out and had non-stop attention.
Sumner sleeping on Uncle Walt Walt

No comments:

Post a Comment