So, on December 17th we fed him sweet potatoes for supper! I wish everyone could have seen his face when he took the first bite! It was priceless! He acted like I was feeding him dirt! But, he came back for more, and more, and more! Turns out, it was the texture causing him to make that face! He made it every single time he took his first bite no matter what it was! This did eventually stop but it was adorable while it lasted.
Next, we fed him carrots. First, he made that same terrible "my mommy's feeding me dirt" face. But, after a few bites he was grunting and whining because I wasn't feeding it to him fast enough. At this point we had not seen any allergies, I hope our luck continues!
After carrots we fed him squash. Squash was not his favorite. He ate it four nights in a row, and he didn't appear to like it any better on the fourth night than he did on the first night! In fact, on the fourth night I couldn't even get him to really eat it so I ended up giving him pears! It took a few minutes for him to figure out the pears weren't squash, but once he did he was mmmmm and ahhhh and I couldn't feed him as quickly as he wanted so he would get mad! After a few weeks, he came around and started liking squash!
On Sunday, December 30th, we began feeding him lunch, too! I wasn't sure if I would keep doing it because he started to not want his bottle. At this age, his formula is where he gets his nutrition. Therefore, I felt like it was more important for him to take his bottle versus having solids for lunch. So, I stopped for about a week and tried again. The second time he did better. His Mimi got his schedule set up so he wants both bottle and baby food!
After squash, we tried bananas. We used the jars ones first, before giving him the homemade stuff. It looked and smelled terrible. But to be honest, so does the stuff I made and froze for him. Needless to say, he didn't like it at first. So, I stopeed and tried again later. I wanted to do a fruit since he had had a lot of veggies and since bananas didn't work out, we did pears. He liked the pears a lot! When I tried bananas again, he liked them too!
Like I said earlier I decided to try green beans again. This time I used the ones I made for him. He liked them better than the jar ones but they still weren't his favorite. He ate them along with sweet potatoes (his favorite.) The only way I could get him to eat them was by mixing the two together. This was the first combination I have done. I knew if it upset his tummy it had to be the green beans because he had been in sweet potatoes for several weeks. Unfortunately, the next day he started having diarrhea. My first thought was that he was having an allergic reaction to the green beans, like he appeared to have to the peas. But, as time went on, his symptoms worsened. I had a virus a few days prior, so I began wondering if he had it too. We took him to his pediatrician and she said it was probably the virus but to hold off on green beans for a little while, just in case. If I give them to him and he has the same reaction, I will know why. Once he got over his sickness, I fed him apples and they were a hit!
Friday night, January 11, 2012, he had meat for the first time. It was organic chicken and sweet potatoes from a jar. I wanted to see how he did with it before I made my own. He loved it and it didn't hurt his tummy at all.
I love Publix. They have a lot of organic fruits and vegetables. I bought several things there, including organic avacado and organic chicken (to make him chicken and brown rice.) We fed him the avocado Sunday night, January 13th. Matthew didn't think he would like it, but he was wrong! He ate it all up! I also made him peaches and mango. We fed him the chicken/rice I made that same week. That was probably his favorite thing of all! He mmmmmm'ed with every bite!
As of February 23rd, he is still eating homemade baby food. He pretty much eats anything now. He is not picky at all! The only thing he is picky about is how fast you get it in his mouth! :) I usually spend one Saturday a month pre-cooking and freezing his meals. Sometimes during the week if we are having something for dinner I think he will like, I will put it in the food processor and feed that to him. I am still too scared to feed him straight table food. Matthew is probably more afraid than I am. I guess I am just going to wait until I get permission from his pediatrician :) What can I say... he is my first baby so I am doing everything by the book (or by what Dr. Griffin tells me I should do!)


No comments:
Post a Comment