Sumner's first Christmas was everything I hoped it would be, and more! The only complaint I have is that it was too busy and everything seemed so rushed! But other than that, it was perfect. I cannot tell you how many times I thought to myself how last year everyone kept saying "this time next year you will have a baby with you". At the time I did not know what the gender would be. Little did I know, I was not able to comprehend what "having a baby with you" REALLY meant . I just thought I loved him and was excited last year but I didn't have a clue! No one can prepare you for the fun, love, contentment, completeness you feel once he was really here. That love just grows and grows each and everyday!
To me, Sumner was at the PERFECT age for his first Christmas! He is still a "baby" vs being a toddler and super independent but at the same time he was old enough to be fun and interactive. He was so cute, and a trooper if I do say so myself. His bedtime is usually between 7:30 and 8:00. I was afraid he would be ill because many of our events didn't start until around 5:00.... NOPE! That little boy didn't miss a beat! In fact, he didn't go to sleep on Christmas night until 11:30 and hadn't had a nap since 12:30!
Here is a breakdown of Sumner's 1st Christmas
- Saturday, December 22, 2012 (Morning): Our first Christmas took place at Uncle Dwight and Aunt Carol's house. We were suppose to be there at 9:00 for breakfast, but we overslept! We never set our alarm clocks on Saturday's because Sumner is our alarm clock. He wakes up no later than 6:30, no matter what! Well, to our surprise, he didn't wake up until 8:15! I hated to be late, but I can't lie... I haven't slept that late since he has been born so it was FANTASTIC! We made it to their house 45 minutes late but still had a good time. I had a blonde moment though... I had planned to wrap the gifts that morning since Sumner usually wakes up so early I thought I would have plenty of time! Since he didn't wake us up, we were flying through the house trying to get ourselves ready, plus Sumner, plus feed him, plus pack up all his stuff, plus wrap presents, and the list goes on (you mommy's out there know what I am talking about. The days of just getting up and heading out the door end when baby comes along). Anyway, through the madness I wrapped my nephew, John Curtis's gift thinking it was for my young cousin, Ben. When we were done opening gifts I glanced at Ben's stack and saw John Curtis's gift! Haha! Luckily, Ben's mama, Hannah, was understanding! Matthew went home and got Ben's real gift. We gave it to him, unwrapped and all! Hannah just laughed it off and said welcome to motherhood! :)
- Saturday, December 22, 2012 (Evening): Our next Christmas took place at my Grandparent's house. This is my favorite part of Christmas because it is the ONE thing that has NEVER changed! Sure, the date is always different, and we have all grown up, but it feels the same year after year. In most families, once the children grow up, Christmas is never the same. That is why Christmas at my Grandparents is so wonderful... It's like a revolving door. There has NEVER been a year when there were not small children laughing and playing. Grandma and Granddaddy have 5 children. 10 grandchildren, and 15 great grandchildren! We have the same routine we had when I was five years old. We even eat the same things! Its the best feeling in the world!
- CHRISTMAS EVE (Afternoon): Ever since Matthew and I started dating, we go to his Nana's on Christmas Eve. I really enjoy it, but I also miss Christmas Eve with my family, because it was always such a special time. To be honest, I probably cherish the memories of Christmas Eve with my mama, daddy, brother, and sister more than I do of Christmas day. So, since I don't spend the evening with them anymore, we always go over there for a few hours before heading to his Nana's.
- CHRISTMAS EVE (Evening): Christmas Eve was a lot of fun. We had a lot of yummy food and lots of laughs, thanks to Sumner's 7 year old cousin, Logan! Sumner had a blast watching Logan play! That night when we got home, Matthew read Sumner "Twas the Night Before Christmas". Mama bought the book for Sumner last year. It was a tradition in my family growing up!
- CHRISTMAS DAY (Our Christmas): We woke up to around 7:45 (YAY! Sumner has been sleeping past 6am for the past several mornings) to see what Santa brought Sumner. He brought him a beautiful, wooden, rocking horse, bath boys, Sophie the Giraffe teething toy, and the dvd "The Grinch". Santa also left somethings in Sumner's stocking.... Butt paste, Little Noses Saline drops, Puffs, bibs, and a pack of onesies. Sumner got sleepy soon after we opened gifts so I laid him down and he took a nap while Matthew and I cleaned everything up and rushed to pack things to take to my mama's for our next Christmas!
- CHRISTMAS DAY (Mama's House): I am a lucky girl. Although my parents are no longer married, they have a wonderful relationship, which makes things better for my brother, sister, and I. Instead of having to separate Christmas' and other things, we are able to do them together. We got to mama's house around 11:30. Mama and I rushed to get lunch ready. We had turkey, dressing, gravy, rolls, green bean casserole, peas, butter-beans and cream corn. Sumner took a TWO AND A HALF HOUR NAP during this time, too! I am so proud he can sleep at my mama's house. So far, it is the only place besides home that he will take a nap. I guess it is because he is comfortable there because he is over there all the time :) ! After lunch, we exchanged gifts, worked on putting a puzzle together, and just enjoyed being together. As usual, the Christmas Story movie played in the background THE WHOLE TIME! But, hey, it wouldn't be Christmas without it if my daddy is around! After everyone opened gifts, John Curtis and Sumner enjoyed playing with the train with their Papa! We left mama's house around 4:00 and headed to our next event...
- CHRISTMAS NIGHT (Matthew's parent's house): Every Christmas night the Sumner family (Mrs. Latrelle's brothers, their kids, their kids' kids, and mother) gets together at Matthew's parents. We have sandwiches dips, and other finger foods. It is always a lot of fun because Tyler and Avery are pumped up from Santa visiting them earlier in the day. This year was really fun because Sumner was there too!!! He had the best time watching Tyler and Avery! Everyone left around 9:30 and we started our last "Christmas" event...
- CHRISTMAS NIGHT (Gammie and Poppie's house): Sumner never skipped a beat. I tried to make him rest when we first arrived around 6:00 but he wouldn't! I was worried he wouldn't be able to stay up for Christmas with his Gammie and Pappie, but he did! Every time he would start to doze off he would perk right back up as if he got his 2nd wind or something. He had the BEST time watching us open gifts, opening his own gifts, and best of all playing in all the paper! We finished around 11:30 and Matthew took us home and he went back and helped clean up and pack up all our stuff. When Sumner got home he looked so relieved to be back in his own house. This was the first time I have noticed him recongnzing his house. I fed him and changed him into his pjs at Matthew's parent's house so when I walked back into his room, I put him straight into his crib. Usually he gets a bedtime bottle before he goes to sleep so I wasn't sure if he would cry. NOPE! He smiled, rolled over, tucked his arms under his belly, and fell right to sleep! He was so happy to be him is own bed!
- DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS: Matthew and I worked our booties off and took down all of our Christmas stuff. Usually I wait and do this, but I just wanted to get it over with so I could spend the rest of my vacation spending time with my family without the dread of taking everything down lurking over my head! I also cleaned out Sumner's stuff to make room for his new stuff! I had a good cry putting away all of the things he no longer uses or has outgrown! But, I feel good having everything neat, organized, and in its place! I am so excited to spend the next 11 days doing nothing but kissing, playing, and loving on Sumner! I am going to have a H-A-R-D time going back to work on January 7th, but I THANK GOD I have a job I really do love and that allows me to have so much time off with my family!
Sumner's Christmas Gifts (combined from all of his Christmas events)
- Rocking horse
- Bath toys
- Clothes
- Pretend cell phone, keys, pretend Ipad, and pretend remote
- Laugh and Play Puppy
- Swing
- Sorting blocks
- Baby Einstein Take Along Music/Teether/Rattle
- A dog that he can ride or push
- Sophie the Giraffe Teether
- Car Steering Wheel
- Books
- The Grinch dvd
- Puzzles
- A ball
- I am sure I am leaving something out :)
Dear Sumner,
Thank you for making mommy and daddy's Christmas so special. We thank God everyday for giving you to us. I tell you all the time "you just don't know how loved you are", and this is so true! You are the apple of so many eyes! I cannot wait to share many more Christmas's with you and make our own family traditions. My Christmas prayer for you is that you ALWAYS remember the reason for the season, always put God first, and love me forever! :) I love you as high as the sky and the ocean is deep and more and more and more! Merry Christmas sweet boy!

















No comments:
Post a Comment