Being a first time mama, I have been known to be a bit of a hypochondriac when it comes to Sumner's health and safety. I don't even know how many times I have taken him to the doctor since he has been born! Well, this past weekend I had a legitimate reason for calling his doctor. The previous week he had been fussy all week. He wouldn't nap and just acted pitiful. I just figured he must be trying to start teething, so I didn't worry about it too much. As the week went on I started noticing a little congestion. It kept getting worse and worse. By Saturday (10/20/12) his congestion turned into a bad cough. However, he did not have a feve. I called the after hours line and his particular doctor was on call and she called me back quickly. After I explained what was going on she said it sounded like RSV and told me to take him to the clinic where another wonderful pediatrician was working that day. Normally they do not take patients under 6 months, but she said they would make an exception. Matthew and I got ready quickly so we could be there as soon it opened. Worrying about germs, I told Matthew to stay with Sumner in the car and I would go in to fill out the paper work and wait for him to be called. Luckily, we wee the only ones there, so we went right back. Dr. V immediately checked him for RSV. Praise the Lord, it came back negative. We were so relieved. She said it sounded like a bad cold and for babies his age, she only recommended giving him saline drops, suction his little nose, and try and keep him upright as much as possible.
We let him sleep in his swing that night so it would be easier for him to breath. He went to bed around 7 and slept without waking until 7 the next morning. We continued to let him sleep in his swing until his cold was better. He slept EVERY night like a dream! It was wonderful! Tonight (10/25/12), he is back in his crib... I am scared to see the change in his sleeping. He moves around so much in his crib which is why I think he wakes up so much. When he is in his swing, he can't move all around, so he doesn't wake up. But, I have learned to deal with it and actually come to appreciate it. I know all to soon I will be longing for this time in my life. I will miss the middle of the night feedings. I will miss him being small enough to lay in my arms. I will miss him being my little baby boy.
No comments:
Post a Comment