Verse

Verse

Sunday, June 28, 2026

Happy 14th Birthday, Sumner

 Another birthday is in the books for Sumner, and my mind just keeps going back to his very first one. I’m telling you, I would give just about anything to go back in time and do it all over again. Truly, I would.

Not because everything over the past 14 years has been perfect—it certainly hasn’t—but because even through the hard moments, these have been the very best years of my life.

When I was a little girl, I used to say that when I grew up, I wanted to be a wife and a mother. Even then, I couldn’t have imagined how wonderful those two roles would actually be. This life that God has allowed me to live has surpassed every dream I ever had, and I am so incredibly grateful. I don’t deserve any of it, but I’m thankful beyond words.

For Sumner’s birthday this year, he wanted to invite a couple of friends to the lake. I told him he could invite as many as he wanted, but he only wanted two because he said that way everyone would get plenty of time tubing and riding the jet ski, and no one would be left out or stuck waiting. I thought that was such a thoughtful reason.

He invited Davis and J.R., and I think they all had a pretty great time. We celebrated at the lake the weekend before his actual birthday.

His birthday fell on a Monday this year, right in the middle of Vacation Bible School—which somehow feels very “Sumner.” Even so, it was a really special day.

I made the cake he requested, which I’m pretty sure has been his birthday cake of choice every single year since he was old enough to have an opinion: yellow cake topped with fresh strawberries and homemade whipped cream.

That morning I DoorDashed him Chick-fil-A chicken minis so he’d have his favorite breakfast before Matthew left for work.

As for gifts, he really didn’t want anything specific. He’s been saving up to buy something for his 3D printer, so we mostly gave him cash. I did surprise him with a golf accessory he’d mentioned needing a few weeks earlier so he’d have something to unwrap.

For lunch, he chose Chili’s, which honestly surprised me. We spent the afternoon together before heading to Vacation Bible School, and it was one of those simple days that I’ll always treasure.

It’s hard to believe that next year, on his 15th birthday, we’ll be taking my little buddy to get his driver’s permit. How is that even possible?

I wish time would slow down. But more than anything, I’m thankful for every memory we’ve made over these past 14 years and that God has allowed me to be so present for so much of his life.

Dear Sumner,

You have no idea how much you mean to me.

You made me a mama, and in doing so, you changed my entire life—and you changed it for the better. Through you, I discovered a love deeper than I ever knew was possible. God also used you to draw me closer to Him and to strengthen the relationship between your daddy and me. Becoming your parents has been one of His greatest gifts to us.

I love you more than words could ever express, and I pray you never doubt how deeply loved you are or how incredibly proud we are of you.

There are so many things I could wish for your life, but if I could choose just one, it would simply be this: that you would love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength…that you would seek Him above everything else.

Because if you do that, everything else that truly matters will fall into place. A life lived close to Jesus is the greatest life anyone could ever have.

I love you so much, buddy.

Happy 14th Birthday. ❤️

I love you as high as the sky and the ocean us deep and more and more and more!


No comments:

Post a Comment