Verse

Verse

Sunday, February 8, 2026

Anna Ruth Turns 12

 This year, I was really worried that I wouldn’t be home to celebrate Anna Ruth’s birthday. Abigail had been in the hospital since Monday with complications from the flu and was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis. Anna Ruth’s birthday fell on a Friday, and originally we were supposed to come home Thursday afternoon—before Abigail got sick—so Abigail could attend her dance recital that night. Anna Ruth’s friend Chloe was going to go with us, spend the night, and then the next day, on Anna Ruth’s actual birthday, we planned to take the girls to get their nails done.


Thankfully, even with everything going on, we were still able to make it work. I took Anna Ruth and Chloe to the dance recital while Matthew stayed home with Abigail. The next day, Matthew again stayed with Abigail so I could take Anna Ruth and Chloe to get their nails done and do a little shopping in Valdosta.


Because her birthday is so close to Christmas, we waited until after Christmas to have her birthday sleepover. She had the best time with the sweetest girls. We also celebrated her at the office with Uncle David, Uncle Dwight, Aunt Carroll, Miss Vicki, Top, and Yaya.


Despite the chaos and uncertainty, she truly had a special birthday. I can’t believe she’s already 12—and next year, she’ll be a teenager.



Dear Anna Ruth,


I’m not sure how the years have gone by so fast. I know it sounds cliché, but it truly feels like just yesterday that you were born and our eyes met for the very first time. From that moment on, we shared a bond that has always felt special and unique.


It’s not because I love you more than anyone else—because that’s impossible. A mother’s love is the same for all her children. But there has always been a uniqueness between us. I think it’s because your nature is so much like mine. As the years have passed, that connection has only grown stronger. I understand you, and you understand me, in a way that feels deeply familiar.


I have loved every moment of watching you grow and become the wonderful young lady you are today. I admire your heart of conviction—how you genuinely want to live a life that pleases the Lord and how you want the same for the people around you. That kind of heart is rare, and it is beautiful.


So much has changed this year. You’ve grown in ways that almost take my breath away. When I look at pictures of you from just six months ago, I still see baby features—and now, all of a sudden, I see a young woman. You started your period this year. You’ve begun wearing makeup more regularly. Your style has changed, and you are definitely obsessed with skincare (which still makes me smile).


I pray that the next few years slow down more than these first twelve have. But instead of feeling sad, I choose to thank God—for every moment I get to spend with you, for every memory we’ve made, and for all the ones still ahead of us. I look forward to the future with so much hope and gratitude.


I love you higher than the sky, deeper than the ocean, and even more than that—and more and more and more with every passing day.


Happy Birthday, sissy.


Love,

Mama


No comments:

Post a Comment