Verse

Verse

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Anna Ruth is Two Months Old


            As Anna Ruth entered her second month, she did not do so on a good note.  Unfortunately, her second month birthday ended up with a trip to the ER.  The nightmare all began about the time she was 7 weeks old.  For some reason her appetite decreased and she stopped wanting to eat at each normal feeding time (every 3 hours/3 oz.)  Then, she started not eating as much at each feeding (down to 2 oz.) so I thought maybe I should try letting her go 4 hours in between in hopes she would eat more at each feeding.  Still no luck.  By the time she was 8 ½ weeks old I calculated her total oz. in a 24 hour period between 13-15 and it should have been 25 so I called her pediatrician and asked to come in for a weight check.  When I went Monday morning (February 17th) she had lost 3 oz. since the previous Monday.  Before then she had been gaining an oz. a day.  Therefore, in one week not only had she not gained, she had lost, putting her 10 oz. less than what she would have been on average.  I freaked out.  I called her pediatric GI doctor in Macon, Dr. Muhammad.  He told me I needed to bring her up and he would put her in the hospital up there and start an NG tube on her.  I freaked out more.  I told her pediatrician what he wanted to do and she advised me not to get the tube just yet.  She told me to go up there and let him evaluate Anna Ruth, but she thought the feeding tube was not necessary yet, and that it should be the last resort.  So, Matthew and I packed a bag (in case we did stay) and headed to Macon.  When we got there Dr. Muhammad was pleasantly surprised to see how she looked.  I think after hearing the amount she was eating and the amount she had lost, he was expecting her to look malnourished.  After the evaluation we decided to change her medication and add rice cereal to her bottles (which we had stopped the week before due to eczema) before doing the NG tube.  He thought her lack of eating was because the acid reflux made it so painful to eat that she basically turned off eating altogether.  He told us to give him an update on Thursday and if her conditioned did not improve we would need to come back for the tube.  Well, later that day Anna Ruth started getting diarrhea.  Two days earlier we went to visit my grandparents.  My brother and daddy were there.  Little did we know, they were going to have the virus the next day.  I am pretty sure she caught it from them.  The diarrhea kept getting worse and worse.  By Wednesday (her 2 month birthday) I was very worried about her getting dehydrated, not eating, and then she vomited a LOT (not sure if it was the virus or reflux which caused the vomit but it was A LOT!) So, I called her pediatrician and she wanted to see her.  When we went she had put on a few ounces since Monday.  Her pediatrician said she thought it was just the virus causing diarrhea and we just needed to let it run its course.  She went ahead and did her two month wellness visit since we were already there and gave her vaccinations.  I questioned her about giving the vaccines since she was already not feeling well but she assured me it was best to go ahead and get them, especially if there were a possibility she may have to go to the hospital.  So, I did it…. Anna Ruth screamed uncontrollably.  It was terrible.  I understand no baby likes shots but she really didn’t handle them well.  I had to wait in the room with her for 20 minutes before she calmed down enough to leave.  When we got home I gave her Tylenol.  She seemed to be better until an hour later when I woke her up to eat.  She went to screaming and refused to eat.  So, I gave her a bath (because I figured it would calm her, which it did) and she settled back down.  She woke up about 2 hours later screaming again.  I gave her more Tylenol and tried to feed her, and she wouldn’t eat.  She cried inconsolably for at least 2 more hours.  When she finally did calm down I was holding her and rocking her.  Her breathing started getting very fast and she started making this whistling sound with each breath.  I was scared to death.  My mom was at my house, too, and insisted I call the doctor.  It was after hours so I talked to the doctor on call.  She could hear Anna Ruth through the phone and insisted I either call an ambulance or go to the ER (whichever was faster) so we rushed into the car and went to the hospital.  Once there her breathing had gotten a lot better but they checked her anyway.  They did a chest x-ray and said everything was fine.  They were more concerned with the fact she hadn’t been eating well and having diarrhea so they decided to keep her to give her fluids, monitor her, and run tests.  We ended up staying the next night, too.  We went home Friday afternoon.  All of her tests came back normal, Praise God.  However, her eating was still the same.  We met with a nutritionist at the hospital who increased her calorie intake of formula so that even though she isn’t eating as many ounces, the ounces she does get have more calories in it.  This leads us up to her being 2 months 2 days old.  Next Monday we will speak with her GI doctor in Macon and see what steps to take next.

 

NEAT THINGS/CHANGES FROM 1 MONTH-2MONTH

·         At 4 ½ weeks she started taking naps in her crib (swaddled in swaddling blanket)

·         Started smiling occasionally at 5 weeks old but a few days before her 2 month birthday she started smiling all the time and cooing and copying others when they make silly faces at her.

·         Started a good schedule around 5 weeks old (eat, play, sleep.) Her day usually begins at 7:30 and ends at 7:30.  I try to lay Sumner down for a nap around 12:30 and Anna Ruth at 1:00 so they are both napping at the same time.  At night I try to give Anna Ruth her bath before her last bottle at 7:30. Until she started not eating she would usually wake up around 1:00 AM and 6 AM.  When she woke at 6 am she would lay with me until she was ready to eat around 7 or 7:30.

·         Around 5 weeks old she started having 1 or 2 poopy diapers a day instead of one after each feeding.

·         I think she went through a growth spurt at 5 ½ weeks old because for several days she was eating about 4 ounces every 2 ½ hours.  Then at 6 weeks she went back to 3 ounces every 3 hours.

·         We started rice cereal in her bottle after her follow up visit with Dr. Muhammad when she was 5 weeks 5 days old.  He told us to do one teaspoon per ounce.  We stopped when she was 7 ½ weeks old because she developed eczema and we thought the two might be connected.  However, when Anna Ruth started losing weight, we started back, and she has done fine. 

·         She got eczema when she was 7 weeks old.  We treat it by using Dove Sensitive soap, Aveno eczema powder in her bath a few times a week, and Eucerin Original Healing Lotion.  At night I also coat her skin with compressed coconut oil.  Her skin looks great now.

·         At 7 ½ weeks old I was told she had pink eye and cradle cap.  I had to put cream in her eye 4 times a day.  It cleared up in a week.  To treat the cradle crap I started using Selsun Blue shampoo twice a week for two weeks.  I apply it, rinse, apply, and rinse.  In two weeks it still wasn’t better so I got a prescription shampoo.  Right now she still has it pretty bad.

So as you can see, she has had a pretty rough month.  I don’t know how she catches so many things.  I have kept her away from people as much as possible.  We started going back to church when she was 6 weeks old, but I do not let anyone touch her or hold her.  We get there late and try to be the first ones out the door.  Since she has been born she has been to Walmart once, church, to visit my grandparents, to visit Matthew’s grandparents, to Albany to pick up her ornament we made, and out to eat with us maybe three times. 

 

Sumner

·         Sumner got a new tooth (top right.) I figured it was coming because his tummy got very upset for about a week causing him to have VERY bad diapers.  There were several times I had to strip him down, soak his clothes, and immediately give him a bath because he made such a mess.  To help his tummy I fed him extra yogurt and gave him a probiotic in his milk.

·         Sumner learned to put puzzles together

·         He told me his bath water was too hot one night

·         Goes around the house saying “tap, tap, tap” and tapping his foot.  I finally realized he learned this from watching Mickey Mouse.

·         Learning to climb on EVERYTHING

·         Loves his sister more and more each day.  He loves to hold her hand.

·         My mama and I took Sumner to Chucky Cheese and he had a BALL! We didn’t even need tokens.  He had fun running around the place and going up and down the jungle gym.  I went down the slide with him in the beginning but eventually he wanted to do it by himself!

 

Dear Sumner and Anna Ruth,
I am sorry this has been a rough month.  I am ready for everyone to feel better so we can start enjoying each day we have together a little more.  I promise, I will always try my best to make sure you are happy and healthy.  I hate it when either of you don’t feel well, but I love taking care of you!  Maybe next month will be filled with smiles and laughter, and no more doctors!
I love you both as high as the sky and the ocean is deep and more and more and more!

Love,
Mama




No comments:

Post a Comment